none
ReportViewer webform control blocks IE / IIS while report is processing RRS feed

• Question

• I've got an IE page that lists reports, and when one is clicked, a popup IE window comes up.  The popup .aspx page (the report display page) hosts the ReportViewer webform control.  After the user sets parameters and says go, it does a postback.  In the postback handler (Page_Load, if Page.IsPostBack), I execute:

this.ReportViewer1.ServerReport.ReportPath = 'the report path';
    this.ReportViewer1.ServerReport.SetParameters(list of params I created);
    this.ReportViewer1.ServerReport.Refresh();

This creates a report and it is displayed nicely.  The problem is that while the report is being generated, I get the green circly thing and the text "The report is being generated".  During this time, when I go to the parent page (the page that lists all the reports, the page that launched this popup window), I can't navigate to another page of my application.

It seems like the IIS thread that is handling my session is locked up dealing with the ReportViewer control.  Reports can potentially take a very long time to render, so I need to allow the user to continue to use my application, even though a report is being rendered.  The popup window can remain in the state "report is being generated", but the parent page should be free to navigate to other pages in my application.

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!  Thanks!
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:34 PM