none
Comcast RRS feed

• Question

• OK this may not be the right forum, but I'm sure many people here can help.

In short, if I order a domestic comcast service that includes TV, brodaband and phone AND I request a fixed IP (which is an option for like an extra 6 bucks a month) then can I run a web server?

I've asked Comcast via a chat session, many sales staff have no idea, they usually end up saying "yes" but experience tells me that I can't rely (I had bis probs with Verizon a few years ago).

So, does anyone here have Comcast with a fixed IP and knows for sure they can run a web server, that port 80 is not blocked?

I return to the US in a few days and need to setup my development office at home uregntly.

Thanks

Cap'n

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 10:34 AM

Answers

• Cap'n,

I'm sure this isn't the forum, board, or anything related to Comcast so this question has been more or less ignored. I'm not a Comcast representative but if I remember my agreements correctly no servers (ha ha.... errr haha) can be run on any residential line, fixed IP or not. You need a business contract with them. In that event port 80 will be released.

If I remember correctly this blocking wasn't initially system-wide. It was specific to areas but I think it's become policy now. If the sales person said that on a residential line you can have port 80 open I wouldn't believe them because in the EULA (agreement thing) it specifically says you can not run servers.

Please see section:
    Prohibited Uses of HSI. You agree not to use HSI for operation as an Internet service provider, a server site for ftp, telnet, rlogin, e-mail hosting, "Web hosting" or other similar applications, for any business enterprise, or as an end-point on a non-Comcast local area network or wide area network. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Comcast and its affiliates, suppliers, and agents against all claims and expenses (including reasonable attorney fees) arising out of any breach of this Section including, but not limited to, any claims based on or arising out of any material violation of any applicable law.

While I do not condone breaking your contract there are ways around these restrictions established. I will not go into them though. I'll leave that as an exercise to the user.

• Proposed as answer by BlndLeadingDef Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by eryang Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:12 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:31 PM

All replies

• Cap'n,

I'm sure this isn't the forum, board, or anything related to Comcast so this question has been more or less ignored. I'm not a Comcast representative but if I remember my agreements correctly no servers (ha ha.... errr haha) can be run on any residential line, fixed IP or not. You need a business contract with them. In that event port 80 will be released.

If I remember correctly this blocking wasn't initially system-wide. It was specific to areas but I think it's become policy now. If the sales person said that on a residential line you can have port 80 open I wouldn't believe them because in the EULA (agreement thing) it specifically says you can not run servers.

Please see section:
    Prohibited Uses of HSI. You agree not to use HSI for operation as an Internet service provider, a server site for ftp, telnet, rlogin, e-mail hosting, "Web hosting" or other similar applications, for any business enterprise, or as an end-point on a non-Comcast local area network or wide area network. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Comcast and its affiliates, suppliers, and agents against all claims and expenses (including reasonable attorney fees) arising out of any breach of this Section including, but not limited to, any claims based on or arising out of any material violation of any applicable law.

While I do not condone breaking your contract there are ways around these restrictions established. I will not go into them though. I'll leave that as an exercise to the user.

• Proposed as answer by BlndLeadingDef Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by eryang Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:12 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Cap'n,

Please see section:

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I have no intention of breaking any rules, you have already told me more than the sales agent, who will say anything to get a sale. One person at Comcast told me (using the chat feature on their website) that I can get a static IP for a residential internet service, for an extra 6.75 a month. I encourage people to do this when they are bored, it takes 5 mins and see what answers you get !

They either lied or are very poorly trained.

I will be getting a biz account now, I just needed to know, it's pretty sad when I have to post on MSDN rather than rely on sales staff at Comcast.

Thanks

Cap'n

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:09 PM