Upstream Release: Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 RTM RRS feed

• Question

• User13824 posted

I will close this discussion now for simplicity because today's (Sep 11, 2015) Cycle 5 – Service Release 4 brings fixes to the Stable channel for all of the VS 2015-specific issues that were being tracked in this thread.

Please discuss any new issues in XamarinVS (in any version of Visual Studio) in the general XamarinVS release announcements. Today's XamarinVS release announcement can be found here: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/50353/stable-release-xamarinvs-3-11-894-cycle-5-service-release-4/p1.

Upstream Release: Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 RTM

Date published: July 20, 2015

Release notes (from Microsoft): https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2015-vs.aspx

Current best Xamarin version to use with VS 2015

"Stable Release: XamarinVS 3.11.836, Cycle 5 – Service Release 3" or higher.

(Xamarin for Visual Studio "Cycle 5 – Service Release 3" includes some specific fixes for Visual Studio 2015 that are not included in the previous "Cycle 5 – Service Release 2" version.)

Guidelines for this thread

1. This first post will be updated regularly.

2. Hopefully this thread will help answer "what might break if I update to this release?"

3. If you find a new problem that is specific to Xamarin after you update to Visual Studio 2015, please provide as many details as you can about how to reproduce the problem. You may reply directly in this thread or contact the Xamarin Support Team via email.

4. Please discuss older bugs that are unchanged in this release compared to Visual Studio 2013 Update 4 either with the Xamarin Support Team via email or directly in Bugzilla.

5. Of course for questions and discussions about topics other than bugs, feel free start new forum threads.

Known issues for Xamarin, with more common or severe issues near the top

• Upstream Visual Studio bug here, Xamarin tracking bug here: Bug 32977 - [Visual Studio, upstream] VS 2015 hangs or crashes under certain circumstances when working on Xamarin.Forms projects. This appears to be an upstream bug in VS 2015 itself that is exposed by Xamarin's change to using Visual Studio's built-in IntelliSense for XAML pages starting in VS 2015 + Xamarin.Forms 1.5.0. Candidate fix now available in the Beta channel: the new Beta version switches XamarinVS back to using Xamarin's own Xamarin.Forms XAML IntelliSense extension as a temporary fix while waiting for the next update of VS 2015 from Microsoft. (Old possible partial workaround: disable the XAML IntelliSense (see the post later in the thread for additional details):

1. Download devenv.pkgundef to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio [VSVERSION]\Common7\IDE\
      2. Run devenv /updateconfiguration from a developer command prompt (for the relevant VS versions).

(If you have ReSharper, it might be possible to enable ReSharper's XAML IntelliSense as a replacement for the built-in IntelliSense after these steps.))

• Bug 32622 - [XamarinVS] IntelliSense shows errors in VS 2015 when referencing certain types in app projects from PCL projects (due to the new Roslyn-based IntelliSense in VS 2015). (This one is a bug in the XamarinVS extensions themselves. It only affects VS 2015. Candidate fix now available in the Beta channel. After updating you might need to delete the hidden .vs folder in the solution directory to force an IntelliSense refresh. Also be aware that Bug 32988 (mentioned below) has a different root cause and is not yet fixed. (Old workaround: see Comment 4 on the bug report.)

Example error messages:

• "The type 'Object' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0"
      • "The type 'Expression<>' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.Linq.Expressions, Version=4.0.0.0"
    • Bug 32988 - [Xamarin.Forms] Modifying XAML files causes IntelliSense for references to other PCLs to fail in the .xaml.cs code behind files with errors of the form "are you missing an assembly reference?" (This is a bug in Xamarin.Forms. It affects all versions of Visual Studio.) This seems to be another side effect of the same changes between Xamarin.Forms 1.4.3 and 1.4.4 that caused Bug 32341. Possible workaround: Downgrade to Xamarin.Forms 1.4.3.x (or earlier).

• Bug 32341 - [Xamarin.Forms] IntelliSense on code behind files for XAML pages is not available for InitializeComponent() or for elements of the XAML page that include the x:Name attribute. (This is a bug in Xamarin.Forms. It affects all versions of Visual Studio.). Now fixed in Xamarin.Forms 1.4.4.6392 and higher. Also important: If your project contains any Xamarin.Forms XAML pages that still use the outdated MSBuild:Compile Custom Tool, you will also need to update them to use MSBuild:UpdateDesignTimeXaml (see Bug 32987 for additional details). (Old possible workarounds: Downgrade to Xamarin.Forms 1.4.3.x (or earlier), or try changing:

<Target Name="UpdateDesignTimeXaml" Condition="'$(UseHostCompilerIfAvailable)' == 'true'" DependsOnTargets="Compile"/>

... to:

<Target Name="UpdateDesignTimeXaml" Condition="'$(UseHostCompilerIfAvailable)' == 'true'" DependsOnTargets="PrepareResources; Compile"/>

... in packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.4.4.*\build\portable*\Xamarin.Forms.targets)

• [Xamarin.Forms] IntelliSense in VS 2015 does not work within XAML pages themselves, as discussed in the first comment on http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/46185/visual-studio-2015-intellisense-regression-when-editing-xaml-files/p1. (This is a bug in Xamarin.Forms caused by a change in the "ownership" of IntelliSense from the XamarinVS extensions into the Xamarin.Forms NuGet package. It only affects VS 2015.) Now fixed in Xamarin.Forms 1.5.0-pre1. (Old workaround: see the two "answer" posts in that thread here and here).

EDIT Aug 11: Add a specific bug number for the VS hanging issue: Bug 32977.
    EDIT Aug 12: Add information about outdated MSBuild:Compile Custom Tool for Bug 32341. Add Bug 32988.
    EDIT Aug 12: Add upstream VS bug for the hanging and crashing issue, and update wording accordingly.
    EDIT Aug 16: Add new steps to deactivate XAML IntelliSense for Bug 32977.
    EDIT Aug 20: Update workaround instructions for Bug 32977.
    EDIT Aug 25: Candidate fixes for Bug 32977 and Bug 32622 now available in the Beta channel.

Monday, August 10, 2015 6:53 PM

All replies

• User80438 posted

Comment 4 from the bug report does not fix the intellisense errors.

Carried out steps 2,3,4 (1 and 5 don't apply). Opened solution, opened a view model that references classes in my core pcl. Build, no errors reported (see 1st screenshot) Open a Xaml file that references classes in my core pcl, made a small change (removed a line). Switch back to View Model, errors appear for every referenced namespace, class or class member. See attached screenshots, before and after.

Monday, August 10, 2015 8:01 PM
  • User80438 posted

And Visual Studio has hung/crashed again after doing not much in particular with the usual 'Visual studio is Busy' message. See attached screenshot. Probably happens several times an hour.

I really hope this can be fixed soon as it is crippling me.

Monday, August 10, 2015 8:16 PM
  • User80438 posted

And again few minutes later.

Seems to happen when I switch from a xaml file to a view model cs file.

Unable to develop at all really. Please can you make this extremely urgent and endeavour to provide a fix ASAP.

Monday, August 10, 2015 8:23 PM
  • User13824 posted

If you get a chance, you can try collecting a stack trace for the hang as described in the first post in the thread:

... collecting a stack trace from the frozen instance of VS...

It should at most only take a few minutes to run through the steps to collect the stack trace. See the first post in the thread for the steps.

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:02 PM
  • User80438 posted

Will do. I have also just tried this on W10 with latest update above with same results.

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:23 PM
  • User13824 posted

For the IntelliSense issue:

errors appear for every referenced namespace, class or class member

I'd be curious to see the precise IntelliSense error messages reported for these red underlines under the "View -> Error List" window. (You can switch the display mode for the Error List to "IntelliSense Only".)

Additional notes that might be informative

• It is important to replace both the Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS targets files with the new versions, even if you're only currently working on one type of project.

• (Also affects VS 2013) IntelliSense in Xamarin.Android projects currently behaves differently from Xamarin.iOS projects. For Xamarin.Android projects it is necessary to build the project once and then close and reopen the solution to get IntelliSense to work as expected. See Bug 30844, Comment 6.

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:27 PM
  • User96360 posted

I just updated https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=32341 because it still happens...

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:44 PM
  • User80438 posted

@BrendanZagaeski

I followed the steps to get a stack trace when it hangs. See attached screenshot. Not much help I'm afraid. Nothing reported in CallStack.

Monday, August 10, 2015 10:03 PM
  • User80438 posted

@BrendanZagaeski

And here is a screenshot of the Intellisense errors, 442 of them !!!

I did the workaround for both iOS and Android. Makes no difference at all.

Monday, August 10, 2015 10:10 PM
  • User80438 posted

For reference please see my solution structure in the attached screenshot. As you can see I have a Core PCL (Silkwen.Mobile,Core) and an app specific PCL (Silkweb.Mobile.MountainWeather). MountainWeather references Core and classes in MountainWeather use classes in Core. A normal project reference set-up. On loading the solution all is good. After editing a Xaml file that also references Core the errors appear in the code files.

Monday, August 10, 2015 10:17 PM
  • User96360 posted

1.5.0.6396-pre1 + XamarinVS 3.11.836, Cycle 5 + VS2015 is a bit of a disaster on my machine. I deleted all obj and bin folders, but I have intellisense problems and xaml crashing problems, and xaml hanging problems. I tried getting the xaml hanging call stack but it takes too long to attach and I can't get the call stack.

Monday, August 10, 2015 11:33 PM
  • User13824 posted

@jonathanyates,

Not much help I'm afraid. Nothing reported in CallStack.

You can right-click the "[External Code]" and select "Show External Code". I'll update the steps in the gist to mention that trick.

And here is a screenshot of the Intellisense errors

Thanks. So the "good" news is that those are not the same kind of IntelliSense errors as in Bug 32622 (they don't mention "You must add a reference to assembly"). They look like they might be problems with the generated .g.cs files not being updated or reloaded into IntelliSense properly. At first pass, that sounds similar to Bug 32341, but it now seems there might be a second problem that closely resembles Bug 32341. As discussed in Bug 32341, Comment 5, the best way to proceed with this remaining issue will be to provide the Xamarin developers with a test case that reproduces the problem. I have filed a preliminary bug report where you can attach the test case if you get a chance: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=32944. Thanks!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:54 AM
  • User80438 posted

@BrendanZagaeski

See attached screenshot of call stack. Sorry I forgot to copy the call stack text before I force quit VS. Hope this is enough.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 7:35 AM
  • User141005 posted

@jonathanyates Just upgraded to latest alpha and can no longer open up my solution. The solutions loads half way and then hangs until the VS2015 crash dialog gets displayed, prompting me to close the solution.

As a result, I am unable to continue work because I am unable to open my solution.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 4:46 PM
  • User80438 posted

@ScottNimrod Can you try the Beta.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:02 PM
  • User141005 posted

@jonathanyates I'm not sure how to manage nuget packages without my solution being loaded.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:12 PM
  • User80438 posted

@ScottNimrod

Tools > options > xamarin > switch to beta channel

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:50 PM
  • User141005 posted

@jonathanyates I installed the beta. However, the issue still exists. I'm not quite sure what else to do. I have approximately 35 projects in my solution.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:33 PM
  • User80438 posted

Did the solution load?

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:37 PM
  • User141005 posted

No. It loads a quarter of the way and hangs. I have restarted my machine as well.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:38 PM
  • User141005 posted

I deleted the suo file and the solution now loads. Thanks.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 7:06 PM
  • User80438 posted

Just to confirm. I have suspended R# and the problem persists.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 7:26 PM
  • User80438 posted

I have tried to replicate this in a very simple XF project with two PCL's and can not replicate the crashing. So I have no idea why it is occurring.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 7:52 PM
  • User80438 posted

Although intellisense errors are very easy to replicate. All I needed to do was add a namespace declaration in a xaml page to a core namespace. Switch back to view model and voila, intellisense errors everywhere.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:10 PM
  • User80438 posted

Another thing worth noting is that I am using xcc conditional compilation so I can have design time intellisense for bindings using d:DesignContext={DesignInstance... I doubt this is the cause but you never know. I am very loathed to try removing this as I have this in every single xaml file so it's removal would be a major task.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:37 PM
  • User13824 posted

Thanks for the screenshot of the stack trace for the hang. I have now filed a preliminary bug report for that issue: Bug 32977. As noted on the bug report, the fact that the call stack does not mention any Xamarin assemblies suggests that this hang might be within Visual Studio 2015's XAML language support itself, but I don't know enough about the internals of how the XAML language support works to say for certain that the XamarinVS team will not be able to stop the problem somehow.

If you can get ReSharper to completely disable Visual Studio's built-in IntelliSense for XAML, there's a chance that might be sufficient to avoid the problem.

For the issue with IntelliSense errors (Bug 32944), I have a new lead for investigation that I will look into shortly: Bug 32439. That said, it still wouldn't be bad to attach a test case on Bug 32944 if you have one handy.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:16 PM
  • User80438 posted

@BrendanZagaeski

Thanks for the update.

It's definitely not r#. I had this disabled and the crash and intellisense errors still occur.

Test case to replicate intellisense errors is easy.

• Create new XF project and and another Core PCL.
    • Add some classes to the Core PCL, perhaps ViewModelBase
    • Create a vm in the project pcl, inherited from ViewModelBase in core.
    • Create view (ContentPage will do) in project pcl and set binding context to VM.
    • Normal setup so far. Build and all is ok.
    • Now in the view add a namespace reference 'xmlns' to core.
    • Switch to ViewModel and BOOM, errors will appear.

As for VS hanging, which is a bigger issue for me, I really haven't a clue. But, this did not happen in 2013.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:30 PM
  • User13824 posted

Hang / crash

It's definitely not r#. I had this disabled and the crash ... still [occurs].

The guess would in fact be the reverse of that. The thought is that enabling R# and asking R# to disable the built-in Visual Studio IntelliSense might fix the hangs (because it would hopefully avoid the chain of method calls shown in the screenshot you collected). (If it changes the call stack, that might be interesting to know too.)

this did not happen in [VS] 2013.

That is as expected. To borrow some wording from the bug report: "VS 2013 uses Xamarin's custom Xamarin.Forms XAML IntelliSense extension, rather than Visual Studio's built-in IntelliSense."

In contrast, Xamarin.Forms XAML IntelliSense in VS 2015 does use VS's built-in IntelliSense. One possible workaround the XamarinVS developers are contemplating is to enable VS 2015 support for the old custom Xamarin.Forms XAML IntelliSense extension.

IntelliSense errors

Test case to replicate intellisense errors

I had some luck reproducing an issue that might match what you're seeing. (I wasn't seeing the problem when I first tried to follow the steps with a new template app, but then I switched to using the "XLabs.Sample" app based on a tip from Philip.) It looks like the error messages approximately match your screenshot from earlier.

The new bug report is here: Bug 32988. I have accordingly updated both the first post in the thread and the old "preliminary" bug report with additional details and possible next steps.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:31 PM
  • User80438 posted

@BrendanZagaeski

Thanks for the update.

I completely isolated my project to my vm c drive and removed R# and still then hanging occurs, regularly.

Regarding the intellisense errors, there is no need to use XLabs or whatever. Attached is a fairly vanilla solution which exhibits this behaviour which I use for the above test case. Load and do exactly as instructed above. The errors will occur.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:32 PM
  • User80438 posted

@BrendanZagaeski

Hanging appears to occur whenever a file transaction occurs, saving, updating, adding etc.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:42 PM
  • User80438 posted

Actually, I think that is wrong cos I opened my solution, opened a xaml file and VS hung, again!

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:55 PM
  • User13824 posted

I have updated the info about the hang/crash in the first post in the thread based on some new information I received from the Xamarin developers.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:11 PM
  • User80438 posted

@BrendanZagaeski

Have you managed to reproduce the crash at all.

I am now at the point where I now have to revert back to VS2013 and refactor all the code that I'd updated to C#6. I have now given up on 2015 as I can not develop with it. This is going to be a bit painful but at least I can progress to release, after which I very much doubt I will ever use Xamarin again. It has to be the worst development experience I have encountered. Way too many problems for the price. We are developers, not Testers!

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:35 PM
  • User13824 posted

Did you check the link to the upstream bug in the update to the first post that I just mentioned? Or see the same link in the latest comments on the bug report?

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1655363/vs-crashes-when-editing-xaml

This is a bug filed by the Xamarin.Forms team against Visual Studio 2015 RTM itself that includes a test case that reproduces a crash 100% of the time.

For now I'd recommend contacting the Support Team via email if you have additional points (outside of specific new bugs seen in VS 2015) you'd like to discuss since I'm just one member of the support team (not anyone in charge of release strategy), and my available time to send replies on the forums is limited.

See my comment on the Cycle 5 – Baseline release thread from April 29 for the extent of my knowledge about Xamarin's efforts to mitigate the number of regressions in the future.

EDIT: Added a little extra clarification. Feel free to continue to report any new issues you see in VS 2015 compared to VS 2013 in this thread.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:04 PM
  • User138433 posted

Voted as important. I confirm that I can reproduce it every time as well. I encourage everyone who's affected by this to vote it as important to put more pressure on Microsoft.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:56 AM
  • User97337 posted

I'm seeing a couple of problems with Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise, with the version of Xamarin that is installed by the VS installer (3.11.816)

The first is a 100% reproducible lock up when trying to add a layout to \Resources\layout for Android.

The second is that I cannot package any application, build is successful but when I try to create the package I get an error complaining of syntax errors in \obj\Debug\android\src\hubb\native\app\android\R.java.

Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\main.xml Processing: obj\Debug\res\values\strings.xml C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_55\bin\javac.exe -J-Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -d obj\Debug\android\bin\classes -classpath "C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v5.0\mono.android.jar" -bootclasspath "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platforms\android-21\android.jar" -encoding UTF-8 "@C:\Users\nigel\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp2A95.tmp" error: expected package hubb.native.app.android;

error: class, interface, or enum expected package hubb.native.app.android;

error: class, interface, or enum expected package hubb.native.app.android;

Build FAILED.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:49 AM
  • User13824 posted

@NigelSampson,

The first is a 100% reproducible lock up when trying to add a layout to \Resources\layout for Android.

That is Bug 32845, which unfortunately affects all versions of Visual Studio.

The second is that I cannot package any application

Thanks for the report. I have filed the preliminary description of the problem on Bugzilla for tracking and visibility to the engineers: Bug 33044. I included several questions about additional information to gather, if you get a chance.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:17 AM
  • User80438 posted

@BrendanZagaeski

I have removed all copies of the metadata files Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.Design.dll and Xamarin.Forms.Core.Design.dll from the packages folder and still the hanging/crashing persists. This seems to make no difference at all other than bringing back the blue underlining throughout my Xaml.

All I did was edit some stuff, then tried to open a xaml file and BOOM again, Visual Studio hangs!

Thursday, August 13, 2015 6:51 AM
  • User80438 posted

And crashed again trying to add a file.

Reverting to 2013. I've had enough of this.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 7:10 AM
  • User96360 posted

I just up voted the MS bug https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1655363/vs-crashes-when-editing-xaml

I see only 3 other votes. Please up vote!

Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:42 PM
  • User80438 posted

+1 vote

Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:19 PM
  • User47183 posted

Just voted!

Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:23 PM
  • User75120 posted

Voted (although my vs2015 won't crash with the test project attached to the bug - but there's no intellisense either - go figure!)

Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:48 PM
  • User55830 posted

My goodness, will this ever be solved :open_mouth: The blue lines come and go... I don't even care anymore... I'm programming @ ChuckNorris level, like all of you here. Why do we need IS and just-in-time code analysis? remember when you had to use simple text editors like VIM? sarcasm OFF

;)

Thursday, August 13, 2015 11:49 PM
  • User115187 posted

This may or may not help..

I also had the problem with VS2015 and XF 1.4 Intellisense in a PCL with iOS & Android projects. My error list had an error for every code-behind reference I made to an XAML element. XAML had blue underlines for every element as well. Code-behind was just a sea of red. However building and running the project still worked.

When I initially upgraded to XF 1.5pre1 I couldn't open an XAML file without VS2015 crashing. I gave up and went back to XF1.4 and the result was as above.

This morning I removed Xamarin completely from my system, from the registry, rebooted and re-installed it from scratch. Same problem with XF 1.4 despite doing the workarounds at fixing it listed in the first post of this thread.

I upgraded to XF 1.5pre1 just now and still the same problem with Intellisense. I have an XAML file open already but if I open a new XAML file, VS still crashes.

I have no explanation for this, but while I had that one XAML file opened, I just hit save and all my red and blue lines disappeared and Intellisense returned across the entire project.

Now when I open the project I get code behind errors, my error list full of issues and Intellisense is gone, but once I save that XAML file, no more errors. I still can't open a new XAML file though without VS crashing.

Friday, August 14, 2015 12:50 AM
  • User115187 posted

As mentioned above, if I had an existing XAML file open - there was no issues, as soon as I opened another XAML file, VS crashed again.

I removed the Design folder from the packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.5.0.6396-pre1\lib* directory and was now able to open XAML files but no Intellisense.

I created the Design folder in each of those directories and only added in Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.Design.dll. Everything now seems to be working perfectly fine as soon as I save any XAML file after opening the solution <-- this seems to regenerate whichever files are required?

No error list, no code behind errors, no blue lines in XAML, I can open XAML files successfully, Intellisense is back in both XAML & code behind.

@jonathanyates @ErosStein @Marabunta @BrendanZagaeski

Friday, August 14, 2015 1:46 AM
  • User97337 posted

@BrendanZagaeski

Are there any known workarounds for 32845? Given that you said it affects all versions of Visual Studio it sounds like I should given up on any Android development till this has been resolved?

Friday, August 14, 2015 9:49 AM
  • User80438 posted

The best workaround for this is to stop using VS 2015 and revert to 2013. I have just done this, although I had to down grade some c#6 code, and all is working fine. In fact it is a joy to be working again without any of these issues what so ever. No blue lines in the xaml, not red lines in my code, xaml intellisense works perfectly and best of all it doesn't crash on me at all. VS 2015 seems a total disaster to me.

Friday, August 14, 2015 11:59 AM
  • User80438 posted

Not only that but 2013 just feels so much quicker and more responsive to, and that's with R# installed. The R# Xaml intellisense is excellent.

Friday, August 14, 2015 12:19 PM
  • User55830 posted

@jonathanyates Well, I do agree R# is a must, I've read the VS15 would kill it, but no way... But, I don't think our problem relates to VS15, it seems to be Xamarin.VS. I'm using VS15 for my MVC projects and it works just fine. It's snappier than VS13. But I could be wrong, though...

Friday, August 14, 2015 12:43 PM
  • User80438 posted

@ErosStein Yeah I meant in the context of Xamarin. For other stuff I'm sure it's probably fine. If only I had the time for other stuff.

Friday, August 14, 2015 12:53 PM
  • User55830 posted

@jonathanyates gotcha! and agree. When it's related to Xamarin, it's become a pain...

Friday, August 14, 2015 1:04 PM
  • User13824 posted

@NigelSampson, I've now updated Bug 32845 (Android layout file issue) with a few possible workarounds.

Friday, August 14, 2015 4:15 PM
  • User48769 posted

Here's a definite solution in the meantime:

1. Download devenv.pkgundef to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio [VSVERSION]\Common7\IDE\
    2. Run devenv /updateconfiguration from a developer command prompt (for the relevant VS versions).

You can read more about the issue and how we're addressing in the short and longer term at http://www.cazzulino.com/xaml-forms-intellisense.html

Friday, August 14, 2015 6:56 PM
  • User115187 posted

@ErosStein @jonathanyates After a full work day yesterday running VS2015 & XF 1.5 with the one DLL file in the Design folders, I've had no problems. XAML & code-behind intellisense work and no crashes in any VS operation.

If you still had VS2015 installed it would be interesting to see if only having Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.Design.dll in the Design folders helped.

FWIW I've been using VS2015 for some older MVC projects, class libraries, Windows services, etc and it's been performing really well. It feels faster than VS2013 did and the .NET 6 code changes are really nice. Now if only I could get my head around the new MVC project structure! :smile:

Friday, August 14, 2015 10:35 PM
  • User75120 posted

@DavidRedmond have tried your suggestion but it makes no difference on my setup (VS2015 ent, 3.11.836, 1.5.0.6396, no R#), thanks anyways.

However I don't get lockups (probably because I don't get any intellisense either) so I'm reluctant to fiddle too much in case I change something I shouldn't and start getting hangs, as I don't want to have to remove the c#6 stuff and revert to 2013 as @jonathanyates has.

I'm sure the guys at Xamarin know how serious this is for their reputation and, with help from their contacts at Microsoft, will get out a final, stable release soon (please :smile: )

Saturday, August 15, 2015 8:04 AM
  • User80438 posted

@kzu @BrendanZagaeski Tried the suggested workaround. Didn't work. After deleting static.14.pkgdef and running devenv /updateconfiguration I opened my solution in VS2015, then opened a cs and then a Xaml file. I then added 2 blank lines to my xaml, then clicked back to the cs file and VS hung.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 7:03 AM
  • User80438 posted

Btw, I got a dialog during the crash. Here is a screenshot and the output.

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: devenv.exe Application Version: 14.0.23107.0 Application Timestamp: 559b7ead Fault Module Name: clr.dll Fault Module Version: 4.6.81.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 5584e56f Exception Code: c00000fd Exception Offset: 0001ce78 OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: 0eef Additional Information 2: 0eefc76a114fd5616afd505338fe00f4 Additional Information 3: 1164 Additional Information 4: 11643620532de8af86b5269ab723c3c0

Read our privacy statement online: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline: C:\Windows\system32\en-GB\erofflps.txt

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 7:09 AM
  • User48769 posted

Did it also crash after a restart?

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 11:03 AM
  • User80438 posted

@kzu Yes

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 7:55 PM
  • User48769 posted

One way to tell the XML-based editor vs XAML-based (crashy) one, is to note the color of the

Could you confirm that it's the blue directive, and that doing devenv /setup doesn't remove it either? :(

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 10:02 PM
  • User80438 posted

@kzu It's blue. Tried the whole thing again. Didn't work.

Running devenv /setup within Developer Command Prompt for VS2015 I get the following message:

'The operation could not be completed. The requested operation requires elevation'

See screenshots. Am I doing something wrong?

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:16 PM
  • User80438 posted

@kzu Btw, I'm running on MBP with Parallels and W8.1

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:17 PM
  • User47183 posted

@jonathanyates make sure you run devenv.exe /Setup from an elevated (Admin) command prompt, otherwise it won't work.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:33 PM
  • User80438 posted

@kzu @VGA Ok, so I ran both devenv.exe /updateconfiguration and devenv.exe /setup running command prompt as administrator (see screenshot). I then open my solution in VS2015, and then opened a xaml file and instantly it hangs. I've not had this before, it now instantly hangs when I open a xaml file. Also the

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 10:23 PM
  • User139040 posted

Note this is happening in VS2013 as well for me.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:21 PM
  • User139040 posted

OK I got it to let me edit xaml in 2015 using the /setup command unfortunately it just locks up after about 5 mins again. I am dead in the water now. Programming at a halt till someone gets off their ass and responds to this from Xamarin.

EDIT: And if I sounded pissed, I AM!

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:27 PM
  • User80438 posted

Ditto

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:31 PM
  • User139040 posted

I am going to recommend that Xamarin needs to hire a test and qa team to work out these issues in house rather than having their PAYING customers test this. This is getting ridiculous lately. The old motto "If it compiles, ship it" does not work any longer! Obviously if only ONE person had even tried to use this, it would have been found to be completely broken. I could understand if this was open source and free, but when Xamarin asks for this much money, they could ATLEAST hire one tester.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:10 PM
  • User48769 posted

Ok, @jonathanyates I've updated the instructions, since VS isn't refreshing the already-created registry entries unless you uninstall the MSI and install the one with the true fix (comming soon to the Alpha channel):

Please give it a try. It worked on a clean VS with just Xamarin stable bits.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:22 PM
  • User80438 posted

@kzu Thanks. I'll give it a try when I'm at my mbp.

@BradChase.2011 Could you give this a try and see if it works for you?

Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:44 PM
  • User139040 posted

If I right click on the xaml file and do a "Open With..." I can set it to XML instead and it will open without crashing right now. I have to change it each time I open VS and then switch it back immediately before editing the XAML and it will work. Ill report back if I have any issues after some coding.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:46 PM
  • User139040 posted

@jonathanyates Right now the solution I just posted is still working and I definitely dont want to mess it up as we are actually coding again. If that fails then yea Ill try it out, sorry :(.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:54 PM
  • User80438 posted

@kzu Tried again renamed to pkgundef. Doesn't work. VS2015 still locks up as soon as I open a xaml file and header is still blue.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 4:49 PM
  • User139040 posted

@jonathanyates Did you try what I posted?

EDIT: Right click on the file and choose Open With... XML and then set as default. I have to change the default each time I open VS but its working so far.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 4:52 PM
  • User48769 posted

@jonathanyates updated the instructions. Was missing one step. @BradChase.2011 with that workaround, that shouldn't be needed.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:27 PM
  • User139040 posted

@kzu, for somereason after recovering my static.14 file, it is now gone. Do I need it to repro those steps or is it ok if its missing?

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:34 PM
  • User48769 posted

Heya, found an even simpler way, just two steps :)

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:58 PM
  • User139040 posted

@kzu, Now your talkin! Dont leave us hanging :)

EDIT: NM I see you updated the old post. Trying now.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:05 PM
  • User139040 posted

@jonathanyates So far @kzu 's latest fix works for disabling intellisense and the errors. I will continue to code and Ill report back if it breaksdown again at any point. Thanks much all!

Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:30 PM
  • User80438 posted

@kzu Hurray!!!!! That worked. Xaml file does not crash VS when opening and header is NOT blue :)

So far it has not crashed and as I have R# I get all the intellisense as well.

Does make me wonder why JetBrains can get it so right and Xamarin's attempt is a big Fail!!

Btw, the Red code Intellisense errors still occur as soon as I edit a Xaml file, very irritating. See attached screenshot.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:02 PM
  • User138433 posted

@jonathanyates R#'s Intellisense is a completely different thing to Xamarin's. R# has its own Intellisense implementation whereas Xamarin is just extending Visual Studio's.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:23 PM
  • User48769 posted

Thanks @BradChase.2011 and @jonathanyates for your patience.

Indeed @jonathanyates, as @opiants noted, we aren't doing any XAML intellisense in VS2015, since VS already has one. R# had the luxury of working for years and years on this stuff, extending VS and building their own infrastructure to make it flexible and powerful. They didn't have to build an IDE (like MS, whose built-in XAML/WPF intellisense isn't remotely as comprehensive as R#'s) or build an entire stack for .NET on mobile like Xamarin in a short few years.

Xamarin Forms was announced a little over a year ago only!

Bottom-line: we're making every effort to make the platform great. The timing with VS2015 release was extremely tight and there were external dependencies across many products that made it very hard to test it extensively sufficiently ahead of time. But we're learning from our mistakes: if it ain't ready, we won't ship it, no matter how eager we are to get stuff into people's hands.

In due time, we hope we'll be on-par with companies that are dedicated exclusively to doing some of this stuff (as long as it applies to mobile development productivity), but for now, we have to pick our battles ;-)

Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:31 PM
  • User80438 posted

@kzu That's fair comment. You're all doing a great job. Any eta on the true fix release? Also What's the score with the red underlining errors for any reference to something in another PCL ? I still won't use VS2015 because of this.

Friday, August 21, 2015 7:54 AM
  • User139040 posted

@kzu, I fully understand. We would all like to get our latest and greatest out as soon as possible, we want our babies out in the world! Growing pains and timelines arent that much fun either. I still think ramping up internal testing could help out a ton to stem alot of this off and keep more of these issues internal rather than on customers. I hope you guys figure it out and I hope things get better, we all want this :).

On a side note for some reason my VS2015 has reverted back and now it locks up every time. I will for now just go back to setting my default to XML as I know that sticks.

Second issue is now all my C# has red lines underneath just about everything.

Third issue is my solution compiles just fine even if the xaml is completely screwed up. I had worked all day trying to figure out why the hell anytime I added a grid column the xaml would blank out. Well found out that I had typed in ColumDefinition ARGG! I wasted almost an entire day on it.

@jonathanyates, Are you seeing any of these issues?

So in conclusion, this is extremely unproductive. I really wish there was a better way than what we currently have to work with. Maybe there is?

Friday, August 21, 2015 4:11 PM
  • User80438 posted

@BradChase.2011 Yes I am getting red underline errors all over my c# where ever I am referencing something from another PCL although it builds fine. For that reason alone I have reverted to 2013 as I can't tell what is or what isn't a real error. I haven't spent enough time in 2015 since the workaround worked to know if it's stable. Are you using R#? I strongly recommend anyone to use it at this point as it's intellisense for XF is excellent. Well worth the extra pennies. Would probably have resolved your ColumDefinition early on.

Friday, August 21, 2015 9:48 PM
  • User55830 posted

@jonathanyates Me again :) I thought those red lines @C# would've been solved by now =/ Well...

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:45 AM
  • User75120 posted

@ErosStein

I wouldn't be surprised if they've already fixed it, but are taking a bit longer this time to check everything else out so they can put out a stable release that sorts intellisense and the red lines once and for all and, most importantly, doesn't break anything else.

Hope they do it soon though, 'cause I don't want to install R# again as it bloats the whole thing and slows the editor down (admittedly the R# intellisense is good). I can work with the red lines for now by doing all the XAML work in one run of VS2015, then restarting and leaving XAML alone and doing code only so red lines for PCL refs don't appear. Not ideal but reasonably productive.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:03 AM
  • User55830 posted

@Marabunta could be, I guess we just have to wait =/

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:33 PM
  • User50849 posted

The PCL issue is an msbuild/Roslyn issue (https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/970, https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/560, https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/1894). The issue is marked as closed because it's scheduled to be resolved in msbuild (if I understood correctly, https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/560#issuecomment-97631915), but still affecting released Visual Studio. We did include a workaround in our latest, but it may not have worked correctly.

What in my experience absolutely works until MS fixes it is to include this in your csproj (in the first section, before the property group with the Debug condition): <CheckForSystemRuntimeDependency>true</CheckForSystemRuntimeDependency>

Hope this helps, joj

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:17 PM
  • User23660 posted

Just to be sure: if I downgrade to VS2013 the problems with intellisense and the red underlining disappears?

Friday, August 28, 2015 1:33 PM
  • User13824 posted

There are some IntelliSense issues that are caused by VS 2015 and others that are caused by the Xamarin.Forms NuGet package itself. At least 2 of the issues caused by the Xamarin.Forms NuGet package affect both VS 2013 and VS 2015. See the first post in the thread for additional details.

Friday, August 28, 2015 4:50 PM
  • User26025 posted

Is there any news about these issues ? I cannot add an existing file to a XF Droid project. I tried 'Add existing item', drag&drop, and 'Include in project'. VS2015 Enterprise 14.0.23107.0 D14REL VS Hangs forever

I tried adding [CheckForSystemRuntimeDependency>true[/CheckForSystemRuntimeDependency> and I downloaded that file and did devenv /updateconfiguration The problems remain.

Monday, August 31, 2015 2:58 PM
  • User13824 posted

I cannot add an existing file to a XF Droid project. ... VS Hangs forever

There are various possible causes of hangs when adding items to Android projects. So far none of them are known to be specific to VS 2015. It looks like you have a Business license or higher, so the most direct way forward at this point would be to contact Xamarin Support via email to have them take a look at the specific situation on your system.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 11:32 PM
  • User13824 posted

I will close this discussion now for simplicity because today's Cycle 5 – Service Release 4 brings fixes to the Stable channel for all of the VS 2015-specific issues that were being tracked in this thread.

Please discuss any new issues in XamarinVS (in any version of Visual Studio) in the general XamarinVS release announcements. Today's XamarinVS release announcement can be found here: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/50353/stable-release-xamarinvs-3-11-894-cycle-5-service-release-4/p1.

Friday, September 11, 2015 5:10 PM