none
Footer top margin

Question

•  

Windows ReportViewer.

I want to leave some whitespace above my footer which has a table flowing from page to page in the body.

I have a textbox in the footer which I set to a height of .5 in and the VerticalAlign = Bottom. Then I set CanShrink to False. This has the desired effect, but it seems like a workaround.

Is there some other way to leave a top margin in a footer?

Rick

Monday, November 5, 2007 2:53 PM

All replies

• Here are some alternatives that come to mind:

* - use a rectangle rather than a textbox as a spacer, just seems cleaner.  In fact, now that i think about it, make this rectangle the full size that you want the footer to be ("contain" the contents) and just set the height the height you want your footer to be, this would pretty much be the same as giving the page footer a height property, wouldn't it?

* -- use a table footer row with "repeat on new page" set true.

Probably other ways, too.... what do you think? Would one of these work for you?

>L<

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 4:11 PM
  • Thanks Lisa,

Both of your suggestions are viable alternatives, although I'm not sure they are much different than what I am doing now.

I just thought that there was some kind of "margin" property that I was overlooking, but I guess not.  It seemed like a logical property to exist when the program handles an automatic layout.

Regards,

Rick

Thursday, November 8, 2007 9:40 AM
  • Yes, they're not that different except that I think this is one of the things that a rectangle really "should" provide, versus using a textbox as a placeholder or shim.  I think, looking especially at the pagebreak options for them, that rectangles in the layout are designed as containers.

While you think that a "top margin" property for a footer is "logical", in some ways it really is not. I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "when the program handles an automatic layout". IOW, I don't know if the "program" in question is the Designer or the rendering engine at runtime. 

But look at it this way: the Designer is a tool, and the RDL is a description schema, designed to handle many different rendering possibilities.  While they both understand the idea of a page header or footer, there is nothing intrinsic to their innate understanding about pages that indicates bands of this nature belong on a page.  Some renderings are fixed page height in nature (print, pdf) and others can be forced into some idea of page breaks (Excel) but don't intrinsically follow a fixed page model.  Others (HTML) can be constrained to a fixed size, to some extent, but it's arbitrary.  Still others (data in XML or CSV formats) can't really do much with page headers and footers at all.

Each renderer has to decide what to do with page headers and footers, in other words, and if they have anything at all they can do with them.  "What does a top margin mean to a footer" is a bit more problemmatic than it might seem. 

As a result, the Designer and the RDL provide a containership model using lists and rectangles that *you* can use to define page regions in a way that makes sense to you but tries not to over-define "what is a header or footer" in a way that forces the definition on its renders.

I hope this makes some sense.  It doesn't come out of any desire on my part to defend the design decisions in the RDL or the Designer, although, FWIW, I see the RDL as the true product and the Designer as only one way to expose that product. It's just some perspective.

>L<

Thursday, November 8, 2007 3:27 PM