none
URI Too Long: WebService, GetXML, ReadXML RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am having any issue regarding the topic title. I have had a look around but not got a satisfactoy answer to the issue, maybe its the way im doing the data transfer.

I have a webservice, lets say WebService1 that is returning data using getXML:

Dataset.PopulateDataset
    Dataset.dataSetName = "Messages"
    DataSet.Tables(0).TableName = "InnerMessage"
    Return DataSet.getXML (Being returned as a string from the WebMethod)

All the above works fine, all data is good, no issues.

I have generated an XSD (XMLScheme) file, all looks good, no issues here.

I have created a seperate application and added a webreference to my above webservice.

I have created a sub to call a function (GetMessages) within this WebService. All is fine.

I have added my XSD to my new application so i can create a strongly typed object: Code below

Dim str as string
    dim ws as new InstanceOfWebService
    Dim msg as new Messages (My XSD)
    Dim tblObj as new Messages.TabledataTable (Represenst the Strongly name dataTable class)

str = ws.GetMessages

'msg.ReadXML(str)
    tblObj.ReadXML(str)

'Both of the above calls give me the URI Too long error.

I have looked at Textreaders and streamreaders within my webservice but the calling application is expecting a type string when sending across the xml.
    So either i'm trying to send the string (ds.getXML, which i understand is a serialised dataset) incorrectly.

Because im unsure of the caling app what would be the best way to serialise the dataset/xml so the calling app can deseralise it without issues. (also the ws is in vb.net the calling app is c#)

Hope this is enough information

Thanks in advance
    Steven

EDIT:
    Sorry, just releasied that this may not be in the correct place, but my main  issue is with caling GetXML on a dataset and the resulting string.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 1:46 PM

Answers

All replies