OleDbException (0x80004005): Could not find file RRS feed

• Question

• User-1376164067 posted

Hello Everyone,

I have some light experience with Visual Studio and C# and I am experiencing a problem with my Access Database Connection and the Web Application.  When I start debugging my site I get this error OleDbException (0x80004005): Could not find file (the path to my database file).

Here is my class file code:

// This function gets information from the tblStaff
            public static dsStaffSearch GetStaff(string Database)
            {
                // declaration of variable for the dataset, connection, and data adapter
                dsStaffSearch DS;
                OleDbConnection sqlConn;
                OleDbDataAdapter sqlDA;
                // Creates a new connection
                sqlConn = new OleDbConnection("PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" +
                    "Data Source=" + Database);
                // Gathers information from the tblStaff
                sqlDA = new OleDbDataAdapter("select * from tblStaff where StaffExperienec = 3", sqlConn);
                // Creates a new dataset
                DS = new dsStaffSearch();
                // Fills the object with information from tblStaff
                sqlDA.Fill(DS.tblStaff);
                // Passes data through
                return DS;
            }

// This function gets information from the tblStaff

public static dsStaffSearch GetStaff(string Database)

{

// declaration of variable for the dataset, connection, and data adapter

dsStaffSearch DS;

OleDbConnection sqlConn;

OleDbDataAdapter sqlDA;

sqlConn = new OleDbConnection("PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" +

"Data Source=" + Database);

// Gathers information from the tblStaff

sqlDA = new OleDbDataAdapter("select * from tblStaff where StaffExperienec = 3", sqlConn);

// Creates a new dataset

DS = new dsStaffSearch();

// Fills the object with information from tblStaff

sqlDA.Fill(DS.tblStaff);

// Passes data through

return DS;

}

and the code behind file:

// Creates Staff Search dataset variable

dsStaffSearch dsSearch = new dsStaffSearch();

// Calls Get Staff function to dsSearch

dsSearch = clsDataLayer.GetStaff(Server.MapPath("StaffingSystem_DB.mdb"));

// Set the DataGrid to the DataSource based on the table

grdStaff.DataSource = dsSearch.Tables["tblStaff"];

// Bind the DataGrid

grdStaff.DataBind();

when the error occurs it points to this specific line: sqlDA.Fill(DS.tblStaff);

From what I have read people are saying I dont have permissions to the db but this is on my personal machine and I have verified that I have read/write permissions.  If anyone could provide me some assistance it would be greatly appreciated!  Also here is the full error that is displayed in my web browser.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Could not find file 'C:\Users\Roc\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\StaffingServiceWebSite\StaffingServiceWebSite\StaffingSystem_DB.mdb'.

Source Error: 

Line 32: 
    Line 33:             // Fills the object with information from tblStaff
    Line 34:             sqlDA.Fill(DS.tblStaff);
    Line 35: 
    Line 36:             // Passes data through

Source File: C:\Users\Roc\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\StaffingServiceWebSite\StaffingServiceWebSite\clsDataLayer.cs    Line: 34 

Stack Trace: 

[OleDbException (0x80004005): Could not find file 'C:\Users\Roc\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\StaffingServiceWebSite\StaffingServiceWebSite\StaffingSystem_DB.mdb'.]
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection) +337
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject) +86
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +31
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +76
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +126
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() +43
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +123
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable[] dataTables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +166
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable) +115
       StaffingServiceWebSite.clsDataLayer.GetStaff(String Database) in C:\Users\Roc\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\StaffingServiceWebSite\StaffingServiceWebSite\clsDataLayer.cs:34
       StaffingServiceWebSite.WebForm1.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\Roc\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\StaffingServiceWebSite\StaffingServiceWebSite\WebForm1.aspx.cs:22
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:30 PM

Answers

• User-1199946673 posted

I have confirmed that the database exists in the above directory and I have also checked to make sure I have full privileges on the app_data folder inside of my project folder

But the path doesn't point to a mdb in the App_Data folder!!!

If the database is inside the App_Data folder, simply use:

"PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|StaffingSystem_DB.mdb"

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:12 AM

All replies

• User-1129879462 posted

It seems, for GetStaff method you are simply passing the database name instead of its fully qualified name like: 'C:\Users\Roc\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\StaffingServiceWebSite\StaffingServiceWebSite\StaffingSystem_DB.mdb'

Make sure the db exists in the above location and directory has sufficient read/write privileges to create ldb files on the fly

Raj 

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:37 AM
  • User-1376164067 posted

Hey Raj,

Thank you for responding.  I have confirmed that the database exists in the above directory and I have also checked to make sure I have full privileges on the app_data folder inside of my project folder.  The only thing that bothers me is that when I right click the folder it says read only. I uncheck it and it asks if I want to do so the remaining folders and I click yes.  However, when I go back and check that setting it goes back to read only.  When I go into security though, I have full privileges to read/write etc...

I have also tried to change from my database name to the full path but it doesnt take, the back slashes present errors.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:48 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

I have confirmed that the database exists in the above directory and I have also checked to make sure I have full privileges on the app_data folder inside of my project folder

But the path doesn't point to a mdb in the App_Data folder!!!

If the database is inside the App_Data folder, simply use:

"PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|StaffingSystem_DB.mdb"

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:12 AM
  • User-1376164067 posted

I was under the impression that as long as the webconfig file pointed to that location I was alright.

<configuration>
        <connectionStrings>
            <add name="StaffingSystem_DBConnectionString" connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\StaffingSystem_DB.mdb"
                providerName="System.Data.OleDb" />
        </connectionStrings>
        <system.web>
            <compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.0" />
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

<configuration>

<connectionStrings>

<add name="StaffingSystem_DBConnectionString" connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\StaffingSystem_DB.mdb"

providerName="System.Data.OleDb" />

</connectionStrings>

<system.web>

<compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.0" />

</system.web>

</configuration>

I did use that same path in my class file but when I try to keep the database variable to pass that database when the function is called it returns an error.

sqlConn = new OleDbConnection("PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" + "Data Source=|DataDirectory|StaffingSystem_DB.mdb" + Database);

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not supported.

Source Error: 

Line 22: 
    Line 23:             // Creates a new connection
    Line 24:             sqlConn = new OleDbConnection("PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" + "Data Source=|DataDirectory|StaffingSystem_DB.mdb" + Database);
    Line 25: 
    Line 26:             // Gathers information from the tblStaff

Source File: C:\Users\Roc\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\StaffingServiceWebSite\StaffingServiceWebSite\clsDataLayer.cs    Line: 24 

Stack Trace: 

[NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not supported.]
       System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CanonicalizePath(String path, Boolean needFullPath) +9368736
       System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CreateListFromExpressions(String[] str, Boolean needFullPath) +254
       System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList) +85
       System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath) +43
       System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(String path) +91
       System.Data.Common.ADP.GetFullPath(String filename) +31
       System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions.ExpandDataDirectory(String keyword, String value, String& datadir) +5055036
       System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions.ExpandDataDirectories(String& filename, Int32& position) +509
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionString..ctor(String connectionString, Boolean validate) +279
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnectionOptions(String connectionString, DbConnectionOptions previous) +36
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnectionPoolGroup(String connectionString, DbConnectionPoolGroupOptions poolOptions, DbConnectionOptions& userConnectionOptions) +150
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ConnectionString_Set(String value) +59
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.set_ConnectionString(String value) +4
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection..ctor(String connectionString) +26
       StaffingServiceWebSite.clsDataLayer.GetStaff(String Database) in C:\Users\Roc\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\StaffingServiceWebSite\StaffingServiceWebSite\clsDataLayer.cs:24
       StaffingServiceWebSite.WebForm1.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\Roc\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\StaffingServiceWebSite\StaffingServiceWebSite\WebForm1.aspx.cs:22
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

Am I looking at this wrong?  The goal is to on button click to fill a grid view with the selected criteria.  I appreciate your response as well.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:30 PM
  • User-1376164067 posted

Changed it!  Thank you very much!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:05 PM