VS2012 Debugging add-in does not detect code changes RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing a Visual Studio 2012 Add-in using C#, .NET 4.5. Generally, I have been making some changes, run the Add-in in debug mode (which opens in a new instance of VS), test out my changes, etc. This has been working just fine until recently. Recently, I added a new method to a class in a DLL that my add-in references. I am able to see the new method in Intellisense just fine, can code against the method, the add-in builds just fine, etc. As before, I attempt to debug the code and test my changes, however, when I get to a method whose body makes a call to the new method I added in the referenced DLL, the call fails with a "System.MissingMethodException" indicating that the new method I added does not exist/cannot be found (note: the debugger will not even step into the method body).  I've reviewed several other similar posts (most seem to relate to debugging ASP.NET) and tried all the suggestions provided w/o any success.  Has anyone see this happen before and/or have any additional suggestions?

As a side note, I have tried changing the name of the method I added in the DLL and tried debugging... no luck.  Same error reported, just with the new method name I used.  Only way I have got it to work so far is to remove the call to my new method (which, of course, is no good since I need it in the end).

Other posts I've explored:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/23e70e79-970d-423f-b434-12681b88ef2c/visual-studio-2012-debug-runs-old-code

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/c76c57d8-e961-47d4-b7c2-59f1f43885ad/visual-studio-20122013-builds-old-code?forum=vsdebug and the various links it points to

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Gladlon,

I don't have experience on extending the debugger, so I'm going to escalate your question to other engineers. Maybe they'll give you more valuable suggestions or solutions. This may take some time, if there're any updates, we'll come back.

Thanks for your understanding.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:53 AM