Elevation during runtime RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I would like to ask you something about our software. Perhabs anyone has the same or a similar problem.

The software we wrote does not write into the registry or into the Program Files folder except for one registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE... this key/data is required by another foreign tool, that is really old and not state of the art (its some kind of software-protection module, that allow us to check serial key's for our software).

Anyway, so the whole program run's in Vista with no problem except you try to enter the serial key which one we must save to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Does this mean we must make our whole software with a manifest that's execution level is "requireAdministrator" or can we call the elevation for this single registry function?

For example: Like if you want to change your system-time. There is a button with the shield-icon, press it, and the elevation dialog appears! You can change the system time and that's it... Or is this a sepearte process if I change the system time?

Thank you for your answers.
    Best regards
    Mike

Friday, January 26, 2007 3:42 PM

All replies

• You might consider loosening security on the key at installtime for your app :)

That is, applying an ACL to it permitting limited users to perform write operations on it.

Friday, January 26, 2007 10:38 PM
  • Hmm, this would be a possibility. I'll try this out manual and then I will see, if it works. All the problems are caused by a software called softlocx (or so). The company does not exist anymore and our product depend on it. What a mess!

Never mind, I'll try to do it with a security-change.

Monday, January 29, 2007 9:01 AM
  • I wrote the following article that might help you. Michael Haephrati
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 11:32 AM