Getting SQL Server Express Running RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get SQL Server Express running on my home computer that runs Window 7 Professional.
    So far, I have downloaded and installed SQL Server Express. The Windows Start list shows Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2.
    I've seen several references to SQL Server Management Studio Express and am ready to download and install that. The download site says "You must install .NET Framework 2.0 and MSXML 6.0 Parser before you install SSMSE."
    I already have Visual Studio 2010 Professional installed. Does that satisfy the .NET Framework 2.0 requirement? If not, do I need to download .NET Framework 2.0?
    Regarding the MSXML Parser, I clicked on MSXML 6.0 Parser and was taken to a site headed "Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - February 2007." Text there said "... a collection of standalone install packages that provide additional value for SQL Server 2005." My question, then, is should I download and install MSXML 6.0 Parser?
    I'll appreciate any guidance.
    Monday, September 1, 2014 11:17 PM

Answers

• Hi, it sounds like you installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Express engine only.  To get the client tools, SQL Server Management Studio, install SQLEXPRADV_X64_ENU.exe (or X86 if on a 32-bit box) from:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30438

This SQLEXPRADV package includes both the engine and client tools.  Since you're already installed engine, just select the client tools feature in the feature selection dialog and you should be good to go.  Once you install SSMS, launch it and connect to your instance by using <machine name>\SQLEXPRESS where SQLEXPRESS is the default value used during setup for the instance name.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/samlester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:29 AM