Getting Results back in GetMeaningfulUseVDTReport request when I shouldn't RRS feed

• Question

• In an earliery forum post (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/749a6bb7-c2e7-417e-b2f3-c4db96bc9eff/what-specifically-causes-a-view-to-be-logged-in-vdt-history?forum=healthvault), I asked what, specifically, causes a view to be logged on an account in HealthVault. The response included:

"A "View" action takes place whenever a user views a page in HealthVault Shell that displays health information. "

The thing is, I'm getting information back in the VDT report when no view has taken place:

I logged in to my HealthVault account via the SPINN application, which redirects back to SPINN - no physical viewing of health data pages takes place here.

I uploaded three CCDs via the SPINN application with event dates of 6/1/14, 6/15/14 and 8/26/14.

I do not view the health record via SPINN or via HV.

I submit a report request for GetMeaningfulUseVDTReport for date range 6/1/14 - 6/16/14, and it returns both of the CCDs uploaded above with June event dates. 

I submit a report request for GetMeaningfulUseVDTReport for date range 8/15/14 - 8/31/14, and it returns the CCD uploaded above with the August event dates.

I have not viewed my health record since uploading those CCDs, so they should not be returned in the report.

Please help me understand why this is happening. Is the act of logging in to the account, despite no physical view, logging a view event here?

Thanks!

Joanne

• Edited by jscollard Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:40 PM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Joanne

I want to make a couple of key distinctions that I believe will clear up the confusion about what shows up in a VDT report when making the GetMeaningfulUseVDTReport API call.

There is no correlation between the date/time (occurrence) of a VDT qualifying action for a record, and the VDT reporting period used when querying for a VDT report. HealthVault returns an entry in the VDT report that includes each patient to which the data source has sent a C-CDA document when the following condition has been met.

• The patient has either viewed, downloaded, or transmitted health information from his health record to a 3rd party.

The entries in the report are filtered such that only those C-CDA documents having an event date within the specified reporting period date filter will lead to the patient being included in the report. The specific entities from the C-CDA document used for filtering are…

• The visit date for ambulatory settings
    • The discharge date for inpatient settings

These rules apply for records managed by the user (custodial records) as well, since the owner of the master record is considered an authorized agent of the shared record according to MU guidelines.

There is no correlation between a VDT “qualifying action” and any particular CCD document. If the record has been credited with one of the qualifying actions (view, download, transmit), then any C-CDA document within the range of the VDT reporting period date filter can contribute a unique result in the VDT report for the patient/source combination.

The implications of this are that qualifying actions are treated as a bit in the VDT reporting calculation rules, either it is on, or it is off.

For testing purposes, you should only need to know if the record has been credited with a view action or not, and whether or not there is a C-CDA document in the record or managed record(s) that can contribute an entry to the report for the reporting period date filter.

-Sean

Friday, August 29, 2014 7:55 PM
  • If the visit date, or discharge date contained within the newly uploaded C-CDA document falls within the reporting period date filter, then yes, it will be included in the report. You are understanding correctly.

-Sean

• Marked as answer by jscollard Monday, September 8, 2014 7:51 PM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 4:33 PM

All replies

• Also, there was a change to the permissions for the application, so when I logged in via SPINN, HV redirected to the authorization page to authorize the new permissions, then redirected back to SPINN. Would this have caused a view to be logged?
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:10 PM
  • This behavior can be attributed to the 12 hour window for view actions. If you were logged into the shell at some point within the last 12 hours and hit any page eligible for the "view" qualifying action, you will get credit for a view action for the record.

I am checking with the platform developer team to see if there may be some other cause that can be attributed to the observed behavior, and will let you know if they come up with anything.

-Sean

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:58 PM
  • I just tested another scenario, to see if it was the act of logging in that caused the view. Or something else.

I logged in via our SPINN application as "Dawn", which redirects to HealthVault for the login, then redirects back to SPINN immediately (no additional permissions required this time). Dawn has custodial rights to "Eric's" record. From within my SPINN application, I switched to Eric's record. I uploaded a CCD for Eric. 

I run the VDT report from within SPINN using a GetMeaningfulUseVDTReport request. Eric's CCD shows up on the report. It should not be showing up, as I have not viewed his record. This is giving us bad results for our Meaningful Use Certification review.

At no point have I viewed any page except the actual login page on HealthVault. I have only done GetThings requests from within SPINN on Eric's record. 

Please help me understand what, specifically is logging the view on Eric's record?

Was it the act of logging in as Dawn, who has custodial rights to Eric's record?

Was it the GetThings request on Eric's record?

Was it something associated with the PutThing request to upload the CCD?

If I upload a CCD with an offline request in the future, will this cause a view to be logged?

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:32 PM
  • Hi Joanne

I want to make a couple of key distinctions that I believe will clear up the confusion about what shows up in a VDT report when making the GetMeaningfulUseVDTReport API call.

There is no correlation between the date/time (occurrence) of a VDT qualifying action for a record, and the VDT reporting period used when querying for a VDT report. HealthVault returns an entry in the VDT report that includes each patient to which the data source has sent a C-CDA document when the following condition has been met.

• The patient has either viewed, downloaded, or transmitted health information from his health record to a 3rd party.

The entries in the report are filtered such that only those C-CDA documents having an event date within the specified reporting period date filter will lead to the patient being included in the report. The specific entities from the C-CDA document used for filtering are…

• The visit date for ambulatory settings
    • The discharge date for inpatient settings

These rules apply for records managed by the user (custodial records) as well, since the owner of the master record is considered an authorized agent of the shared record according to MU guidelines.

There is no correlation between a VDT “qualifying action” and any particular CCD document. If the record has been credited with one of the qualifying actions (view, download, transmit), then any C-CDA document within the range of the VDT reporting period date filter can contribute a unique result in the VDT report for the patient/source combination.

The implications of this are that qualifying actions are treated as a bit in the VDT reporting calculation rules, either it is on, or it is off.

For testing purposes, you should only need to know if the record has been credited with a view action or not, and whether or not there is a C-CDA document in the record or managed record(s) that can contribute an entry to the report for the reporting period date filter.

-Sean

Friday, August 29, 2014 7:55 PM
  • Sean,

It was my understanding and seemed logical to me that the view action must have happened after the CCD was sent, and/or that the download, transmit action must have happened against the CCD itself in order for that CCD to be included in the report.

I am interpreting your response to mean that if we have sent a CCD to a record, and there has been any view, download or transmit action against that record (by the owner of the record or someone with custodial rights), regardless of whether the action happened before or after the CCD was sent, and regardless of whether it was this CCD that was download/transmitted, the CCD will be included in the report.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 2:53 AM
  • If the visit date, or discharge date contained within the newly uploaded C-CDA document falls within the reporting period date filter, then yes, it will be included in the report. You are understanding correctly.

-Sean

• Marked as answer by jscollard Monday, September 8, 2014 7:51 PM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 4:33 PM
  • Hi Joanne,

I'm seeing the same issue - even if the user hasn't viewed/downloaded/transmitted the CDA it shows up in the VDT report, did you get it resolved and if so how?

We are trying to integrate our EMR with Healthvault using HV as patient portal for MU certification. I have emailed HV tech team multiple times but haven't received any replies from them. As part of your testing how did you do the following task?

1. For "NTP Test" how do we demonstrate NTP configuration since we don't have access to server side of HealthVault?

2. How to demonstrate - import "Direct Certificate Discovery Tool's Trust Anchor" into HealthVault.

3.  Did you get WCAG validation report from HealthVault?

Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:00 PM