none
Delay in receiving first packet on socket for Windows version 1803 build 17134.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Observing that the first packet on a new socket connection does not reach the application immediately. There is a delay of 11-19 seconds.

Detected this problem when my application stated timing out. Then wrote a simple client server program and observed the same behavior there.

Used wireshark to observed whats happening. From wireshark, it seems the message is transmitted and ACK is sent back immediately. However, the message is not delivered to server app. Server app receives the same message after a delay of 11-19 seconds.

One more observation is, if the client closes the connection immediately after sending the message, server also receives the message immediately.

I tried running Client and server applications in same machine and also in different machines. Issue is seen when server application is in a machine with 1803 build 17134.1

1- Want to know if this is a known issue?

2 - Anyone else facing this issue or can confirm the root cause.

Friday, August 9, 2019 11:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Some questions, Which socket connection type are you metioned? TCP or UDP? I cannot reproduce it both TCP and UDP on windows 10 1903 build 18362. Upgrade to the latest version if possible.

Or could you please provide your Minimal, Reproducible Example.

Best regards,

Drake

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 12, 2019 10:04 AM
  • Hi,

This is TCP connection. Reproducible on 1803 build 17134.1

On higher builds of 1803, this issue not seen. I know that this is not reproducible on higher versions and I have tested on few of those.

Upgrading the OS is not a solution in this case. In field, there are thousands of users. Can't guarantee everyone will upgrade the OS.

Can you please confirm that this is an issue with the particular windows version. (May be with particular hardware combination as well.)

So far, I have observed this in more than 10 different machines with this OS build. The issue is reproducible 100% on all of the machines with this particular windows OS build.

Below are the network interface details in one of the systems:

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Driver version - 9.1.406.2015

Date - 06-04-2015

Digital Signer - Microsoft Windows

Regards,

Pradeep

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 11:46 AM
  • https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1803

There is no similar known problem in version 1803 build 17134, but you can still try to install the 17134 patches below to see if it can solve the problem.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/

If It still exists, I suggest to submit a feedback on the Feedback Hub APP. And please share link here so that people with the same problems can know the progress.

Best regards,

Drake

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:14 AM