Is Blu-ray playback without third-party tools in Windows 8 possible?

Question

• With Windows 7 wee need a third party player, but will that native possible in Windows 8 Media Center and Media Player?
    R.F.B (Bytestar)
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:54 PM

Answers

• As far as I know, playback of commercial Blu-ray movies relies on proprietary decoder software that cannot be implemented in Windows 8 without proper licensing. Microsoft may work out a deal to achieve this in the future, but it is unknown at this point. I doubt that Microsoft could legally add native Blu-ray playback without licensing the technology from another company (for a fee, of course, which would increase the price of Windows).
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 2:04 AM
  • As far as I know, playback of commercial Blu-ray movies relies on proprietary decoder software that cannot be implemented in Windows 8 without proper licensing. Microsoft may work out a deal to achieve this in the future, but it is unknown at this point. I doubt that Microsoft could legally add native Blu-ray playback without licensing the technology from another company (for a fee, of course, which would increase the price of Windows).

Yeah, you are right about licensing. For Blu-ray it's similar to the license for DVD playback, which is supported in Windows Vista and Windows 7. So it's possible to obtain license and add Blu-ray playback to Windows 8, if Microsoft would want to. I guess we should wait for the beta to see if they did it or not.
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:52 AM

All replies

• I guess it could be a good feedback for future release.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:25 AM
  • That was the answer that I received in the technical beta test of Windows 7 from Microsoft
    R.F.B (Bytestar)
    Friday, October 21, 2011 5:34 AM
  • Just explain a bit, there are milions of feedback that being send to Microsoft from Customers, Partners, Microsoft Employee and others and then Microsoft Team responsible for that product will view feasibility and demand of that feature and it has to review by several teams and if it confirm it will become a feature.

Design a product that support all Blue-rays model is not easy task, but one good way is that Blue-ray manufacturer could register for Windows logo program and they could get option that if their DVD-drive been detect then user offer driver or software for that. Something similar to what will happen if you connect a printer or yoru phone in Windows 7 that will get driver from Windows Update or offer you link to download software.

However, this is totally depend on planning of product and demand of user. Product team will read and monitor this forum.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:22 AM
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 2:04 AM

Yeah, you are right about licensing. For Blu-ray it's similar to the license for DVD playback, which is supported in Windows Vista and Windows 7. So it's possible to obtain license and add Blu-ray playback to Windows 8, if Microsoft would want to. I guess we should wait for the beta to see if they did it or not.
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:52 AM