none
Continue to support 8.0 apps, or just focus on 8.1?

Question

• What is the standard practice for dealing with 8.0 versions of Store apps? Do most folks continue to put time and energy into updating 8.0 apps, or do they focus only on 8.1 updates at this point?

Are there any stats that show how many Win 8 users are still running 8.0? Thanks.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:06 AM

Answers

• As someone who is backporting his Windows 8.1 app to Windows 8 (because the 8.1 version was faster to build and hence went to the store first), I would say, if you have store metrics on which version is more popular and plan around that.

I plan to support Win 8 if there is significant traction, else put it in 'keep the lights on' mode and do bug fixes only, while piling on new features in the 8.1 version.

I had to backport because as of the beginning of January, Windows 8 still had a bigger share of the pie than 8.1. But that might change once holiday sales data is consolidated.

Also something tells me my app is not a frontrunner for being featured (or even listed in the Store under various categories) if you don't support all the versions, but that could be just me.

• Marked as answer by Tim SF Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:42 AM
  • We just focus on the 8.1 version at the moment, but we released an 8.0 version before 8.1 came out, so we still bug maintain it. But no new features get pushed to the 8.0 version.

As for stats, the best thing i could find is the net applications stats:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

And there it states (of total windows share):

Windows 8: 6.89%

Windows 8.1: 3.6%

So for windows 8 share that is: 

Windows 8: 66%

Windows 8.1: 34%

And looking in my download stats i get:

Windows 8: 60%

Windows 8.1: 40%

Which is quite surprising actually, i would have thought 8.1 would have had a bigger percentage of users by now.

• Edited by Andy Ardener Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:23 AM
  • You can do both with minimal work added!

I've setup a solution that maximizes code sharing .

https://github.com/cmorgado/MultiPlatform

and here is  a real word app that I've build using the same principals .
    https://github.com/iFixit/ifixit-microsoft

It goes even further and is able to target WindowsPhone!

cmorgado

• Marked as answer by Tim SF Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:00 AM

All replies

• As someone who is backporting his Windows 8.1 app to Windows 8 (because the 8.1 version was faster to build and hence went to the store first), I would say, if you have store metrics on which version is more popular and plan around that.

I plan to support Win 8 if there is significant traction, else put it in 'keep the lights on' mode and do bug fixes only, while piling on new features in the 8.1 version.

I had to backport because as of the beginning of January, Windows 8 still had a bigger share of the pie than 8.1. But that might change once holiday sales data is consolidated.

Also something tells me my app is not a frontrunner for being featured (or even listed in the Store under various categories) if you don't support all the versions, but that could be just me.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:42 AM
  • We just focus on the 8.1 version at the moment, but we released an 8.0 version before 8.1 came out, so we still bug maintain it. But no new features get pushed to the 8.0 version.

As for stats, the best thing i could find is the net applications stats:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

And there it states (of total windows share):

Windows 8: 6.89%

Windows 8.1: 3.6%

So for windows 8 share that is: 

Windows 8: 66%

Windows 8.1: 34%

And looking in my download stats i get:

Windows 8: 60%

Windows 8.1: 40%

Which is quite surprising actually, i would have thought 8.1 would have had a bigger percentage of users by now.

• Edited by Andy Ardener Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:23 AM
  • You can do both with minimal work added!

I've setup a solution that maximizes code sharing .

https://github.com/cmorgado/MultiPlatform

and here is  a real word app that I've build using the same principals .
    https://github.com/iFixit/ifixit-microsoft

It goes even further and is able to target WindowsPhone!

cmorgado

• Marked as answer by Tim SF Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:00 AM
  • Thanks for the replies. And the stats. I haven't yet upgraded my app to 8.1, but am working on major changes to the app and focusing on the 8.0 version at the moment, and then I'll publish the 8.1 version. But after that I want to be done with v8.0. Except with major bugs.

I found some features in 8.1 that I can't implement in 8.0, so that caused me to second-guess my strategy.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:06 PM
  • Just yesterday I discovered that one of my computers that runs Windows 8 is not capable of running 8.1 which was quite surprising.

Granted the computer isn't all that new but it still runs at a decent speed and has more than enough power to run my TV media centre.  Still, the upgrade process failed.

Up until now I would have said that you should always go 8.1 as all users will eventually run the free upgrade process but now I'm not entirely certain. 

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:30 PM
  • Thanks for asking this and getting some answers.  It's been almost 6 months since I've updated 8.0 version of my app, but I saw in 'usage' stats that 8.0 is still being used -- So after reading your message(s) I went ahead today and backported the changes to 8.0 -- it's in certification now.  Again, thanks for asking this.

-Rob

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:29 PM