Failure converting text column on Sybase 15 to Sql Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been using SSMA for Sybase 5.2 to migrate a Sybase 15 system to Sql Server 2012. We are having the following issue:

• A column defined as TEXT in Sybase is converted but the converted data is changed in Sql Server and is no longer usable. I verified the difference by bcp'ing matching rows from Sybase and Sql Server and comparing the output in Winmerge
    • The data stored in the column on the Sybase side is Tiff image data though the field has datatype TEXT
    • I was able to use bcp to extract the data from Sybase and then insert into Sql Server and the data was then usable/displayable. I used the -T qualifier

What could cause the data to be different between the two systems? Is this due to storing binary data in a TEXT column? Should I cast or transform the data as part of the SSMA transfer?

Thanks for any help.

Friday, October 5, 2012 2:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Sql Al,

Base on your description, you use the TEXT data type to store the Tiff image file in Sybase 15, and then migrate the Sybase 15 system to SQL Server 2012. After that, you couldn’t open the Tiff file in SQL Server 2012, right?

The equivalent of data type TEXT of Sybase in SQL Server is VARCHAR(n|max). for more details, please refer to this resource: http://wiki.ispirer.com/sqlways/sybase/data-types/text. If the TEXT data type stores Tiff image file in Sybase, after the migration, the VARCHAR data type in SQL Server couldn’t show the Tiff image file.

You can try to use IMAGE data type in Sybase to store the Tiff image file, and then you can check if it could work.

Best Regards,
    Ray Chen

• Marked as answer by Shulei Chen Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:40 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 6:16 AM