Unable to Install Express 2012 for Windows 8 on freshly-downloaded and cleanly-installed Windows 8 RTM RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to install Visual Studio Express 2012 with Blend on a laptop which has been recently formatted and onto which Windows 8 RTM has been installed.

I'm receiving a dialog box which states  "Setup Blocked" and then explains "The .Net Framework installed on this machine does not meet the minimum required version: 4.5.50709."

The version of Windows 8 that I am running says that it is "Windows 8 Release Preview Evaluation copy. Build 8400".

I downloaded the Windows 8 from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download using the link next to the 64-bit(x64) ISO image.  I took the file from that download, burned a DVD and used it to install Windows 8 on my laptop which had previously been running an earlier release of Windows 8.  During the install, I formatted the target hard drive partition and after the update, I allowed windows update to install 7 updates.

I then downloaded win8express_full.exe from the http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516 web page and chose "R"un.  This lead to the dialog box described above.

I've been told by others in my developer community that they encountered exactly the same situation and that the only solution was to reinstall Windows 8 using the copy from their MSDN subscription.  That option is not available to me.

Does anyone know where I can download version 4.5.50709 of the .Net Framework?

Thanks in advance!

Colt Taylor

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:33 PM

Answers

• You need to install Windows 8 RTM (build 9200), not Windows 8 Release Preview (build 8400).

If you’re an MSDN subscriber, you can get Windows 8 RTM from MSDN Subscriber Downloads.

If you’re not an MSDN subscriber, you can download an evaluation version of Windows 8 RTM from Evaluation Center. Note this version will expire and you cannot upgrade.

--Rob

• Proposed as answer by Dave SmitsMVP Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Min ZhuMember Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:41 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:44 PM