none
Finding Microsoft document about 'globe' contact in Outlook Address Book RRS feed

• Question

• In my Outlook Address Book, I see some contacts that have a globe icon next to it. I cant find the contacts within Active Directory, Exchagne Server and wanted to know how to find and remove the contact.

I also searched on GG, and some of pepole said that they were custom recipients, i.e., their mailboxes were on some other system outside the Exchange organization...

I am not clear about that. So, I need to find Microsoft documents about this problem. But, I dont receive any right results.

If you got the similar issues, please give me an advice!

Monday, September 8, 2014 2:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Phuc Nguyen,

1. where does a 'globe' contact exist? Exchange or AD

2.  How to create a 'globe' contact?

Default Global Address List   This address list contains all mail-enabled users, contacts, groups, or rooms in the organization. During setup, Exchange creates various default address lists. The most familiar address list is the GAL. By default, the GAL contains all recipients in an Exchange organization. In other words, any mailbox-enabled or mail-enabled object in an Active Directory forest that has Exchange installed is listed in the GAL. For ease of use, the GAL is organized by name, not by email address. For more information, see Create a Global Address List.( refer to Address Lists)

3. Why a 'globe' contact is available in Global Address List (which belongs to AD), but I cannot find it on AD server?

Since this issue is more realtive to Exchange, I suggest that you get more effective response from Exchange Server 2013 - General Discussion forum.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2:12 AM

All replies

• Did you try to use any low-level property viewer Extended MAPI) to find the difference in properties? For example, you may use MFCMAPI or OutlookSpy to observe the low-level details.

Monday, September 8, 2014 3:53 AM
  • I found and remove the 'globe' contacts sucessfully. Now, I need some MS documents to make sense and prove with my team about:

3. Why a 'globe' contact is available in Global Address List (which belongs to AD), but I cannot find it on AD server?

Monday, September 8, 2014 9:19 AM
  • Hi Phunc,

In a Microsoft Outlook session where multiple Microsoft Exchange accounts are defined in the profile, there can be multiple address lists associated with a store.

Exchange. The Global Address List contains the names and e-mail addresses of everyone in your organization. The Microsoft Exchange Server administrator creates and maintains this address book. It can also contain global distribution lists and public folder e-mail addresses.

You may find the following articles helpful:

How to: Identify the Global Address List or a Set of Address Lists with a Store

How to: Get the Global Address List or a Set of Address Lists for a Store

You can try to use the following code:

AddressList.GetContactsFolder().Items.Add

where AddressList is a global address list.

Exchange contacts (Global Address List) and AD users are different things.

Monday, September 8, 2014 12:33 PM
  • Hi Phuc Nguyen,

Default Global Address List   This address list contains all mail-enabled users, contacts, groups, or rooms in the organization. During setup, Exchange creates various default address lists. The most familiar address list is the GAL. By default, the GAL contains all recipients in an Exchange organization. In other words, any mailbox-enabled or mail-enabled object in an Active Directory forest that has Exchange installed is listed in the GAL. For ease of use, the GAL is organized by name, not by email address. For more information, see Create a Global Address List.( refer to Address Lists)

Since this issue is more realtive to Exchange, I suggest that you get more effective response from Exchange Server 2013 - General Discussion forum.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2:12 AM
  • Hi all, 

Thank you for your enthusiastic supporting.

And here is a new problem guys:

In my Outlook Address Book, there are ten Mail Contact items which have a little 'globe' icon. I checked on EMC, there are NOT enough Mail Contact items, just five. Where are others?

At the current, I code my app which downloads all contacts from Global Address List. On GAL, I see ten Mail Contact items. But after downloading sucessfully, there are just 5 Mail Contacts in my database. 

I think 5 Mail Contact items which I have downloaded, exist on the current Active Directory, Exchange (I can see them on EMC). And 5 other maybe does NOT exist on AD that my app connected.

So, here is my questions:

1. Why I cannot see enough Mail Contact items on EMC?

2. Do some of them exist on other system? (I dont know exactly what system is)

3. If they existed on other system, Why we can see on Outlook Address Book?

Thanks advance.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 3:58 AM
  • Hi PhucNguyen,

If the orignal issue was resolved, I suggest that you mark the helpful replies to help other commnities who have the same issue read this thread more easily.

>>1. Why I cannot see enough Mail Contact items on EMC?

2. Do some of them exist on other system? (I dont know exactly what system is)

3. If they existed on other system, Why we can see on Outlook Address Book?<<

What did you mean "EMC"?  As far as I know, if we are using the Exchange server to send and recive the email, all the information store on the Exchange server. To get more effective reponse, I recommnd you to reopen a new thread in Exchange Server 2013 - General Discussion forum.

Best regards

Fei

Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:54 AM