Buffer Overrun RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I've been consistently receiving a buffer overrun error in DssHost.exe.

I've been playing quite a while with the Robotics studio now, and lately I've been receiving this error when running dsshost for about an hour/hour and a half.  The only difference is that this is on Windows Vista (all the work I've done on it was on my XP laptop.)

Anyways, I did a fresh install of the Robotics Studio 1.5 yesterday.  Plugged in a very cheap webcam (Logitech QuickCam Express), and ran the following command:

"c:\Microsoft Robotics Studio (1.5)\bin\dsshost" /p:50000 /m:"c:\Microsoft Robotics Studio (1.5)\samples\config\WebCam.manifest.xml" /s:"c:\Microsoft Robotics Studio (1.5)\store\NoSecurity.xml"

NoSecurity.xml simply disabling authentication.

It runs fine, I can browse to the service directory and see the webcam service, start/stop if I wish, do whatever.

Like I said though, after leaving the service running for about an hour or hour and a half, it suddenly crashes with a buffer overrun error and I'm asked whether I want to debug it.

Any ideas what could cause this?  Honestly it doesn't bother me, this was just a litle project for fun in my spare time... but I am concerned about someone who would try to use this in a production environment. 

Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:47 PM

Answers

• Thank your for reporting but as Paul says this is something in the native library/Dshow code in win32 that unfortunately will bring down the node. DssHost and CCR are extremely hard to bring down, but any native code that causes heap corruption will do this. Which is why 99.9% of our core runtime is pure managed code, to avoid issues like this.

The exception here, webcam service, has to use native code to talk to legacy win32 APIs but we are working to find and eliminate this issue. all our other services, even if they throw exceptions etc will *never* bring down the node.

g

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for reporting this.

We are currently working to fix this problem.

There appears to be an issue with the DirectShow interop layer that the webcam service uses.

Paul

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:18 PM
  • Thank your for reporting but as Paul says this is something in the native library/Dshow code in win32 that unfortunately will bring down the node. DssHost and CCR are extremely hard to bring down, but any native code that causes heap corruption will do this. Which is why 99.9% of our core runtime is pure managed code, to avoid issues like this.

The exception here, webcam service, has to use native code to talk to legacy win32 APIs but we are working to find and eliminate this issue. all our other services, even if they throw exceptions etc will *never* bring down the node.

g

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:18 AM
  • Thank you for the clarification. 

Yes, that particular error did scare me a little, as I didn't think we should ever see something like that - but quickly realized the webcam is relying on some outside code.

Thanks again for the clarification.  You guys rock, MSRS is so awesome.  I can't wait to see it more widely used! 

Josh

Friday, April 11, 2008 12:13 PM
  • Hi. Thanks so much for trying to fix this problem !

We are thinking about using MRS as a platform for our students + some industrial projects including the 7-axis Motoman IA20 industrial robot (snake robot) (which I have already written a MRS service for). But as all our PC's, Vista and XP) crashes after 10-15 minutes using the Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 (which is working great when running without MRS) I am a little bit in doubt of if we should go for MRS or not. One problem is that we have 50 Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000's which we are already using in different courses and do not want to invest in new cams. If we are going for MRS I hope there are no other instability surprises.

MRS seems very interesting!!!

Good work!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamFormidling

Sunday, April 20, 2008 10:38 AM
  • TeamUIO,

Check out this post: http://forums.microsoft.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3181947&SiteID=1

They're already working on fixing this issue.  Smile  Yay!

TeamUIO wrote:

Hi. Thanks so much for trying to fix this problem !

We are thinking about using MRS as a platform for our students + some industrial projects including the 7-axis Motoman IA20 industrial robot (snake robot) (which I have already written a MRS service for). But as all our PC's, Vista and XP) crashes after 10-15 minutes using the Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 (which is working great when running without MRS) I am a little bit in doubt of if we should go for MRS or not. One problem is that we have 50 Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000's which we are already using in different courses and do not want to invest in new cams. If we are going for MRS I hope there are no other instability surprises.

MRS seems very interesting!!!

Good work!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamFormidling

Sunday, April 20, 2008 12:15 PM