none
ServerCore v1809 image just grew substantially RRS feed

• Question

• I just pulled the latest v1809 servercore image and it has grown by 800MB (on disk size) since my last v1809 pull from maybe 1 month ago. Today it is 5.39GB, a month ago it was 4.59GB. The image shows Version 10.0.17763.557.

Any ideas on why the huge growth within the same Windows release version?

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 9:30 PM

All replies

• Check `docker history` on that image. It's most likely result of installing patch.
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:04 PM
  • Indeed I can see that, however my point is that this is a huge increase in size, on an image Microsoft has been putting tons of energy into making smaller and smaller. So it seems quite contrary to past experience. It's notable enough that it feels like Microsoft would comment on it in a blog somewhere if it was intentional.
    Friday, June 14, 2019 2:33 PM
  • Well, I'm not sure there is a solution to this. Base image has to stay the same and yet it has to be patched every month which adds a layer on top of it. You can not reduce resulting image once layer is written by adding another layer on top and hence all patches images will keep growing in size as a result.
    Friday, June 14, 2019 3:01 PM
  • Yes I do understand what you are trying to convey, but I don;t think you're really hearing what I am saying. What I am attempting to say is that this particular image release grew WAY more than any I've seen before. Not just a little more, but grossly different. It's truly exceptional in size. I'm looking for some information about why this particular release is so big, whether we should expect this kind of growth to continue, and perhaps most importantly whether there is any chance this was a faulty release.

I guess I would just expect that since there are so many people (inside and outside Microsoft) that are watching the base image sizes and putting energy into minimizing them, that this seems like kindof a big deal.

Friday, June 14, 2019 3:36 PM
  • You are saying that update layer itself for this specific is exceptionally big with latest update compared to previous update? What was it last month and how much it grew?
    Friday, June 14, 2019 3:58 PM