none
Changing the Default Value in an EDI X12 Schema... Deployment Steps RRS feed

• Question

• Asking the experts... 

I need to add a default value in an EDI 4010 X12 810 (invoice) schema.  I need to default the CAD01 element to "ZZ".  The modifications to the schema in the solution have been made, a default value has been added.  The next step (as far as I know) is to REBUILD and DEPLOY the solution so that the changes can be implemented into our production environment.

My question is...

In the DEPLOYMENT section of the PROJECT PROPERTIES, do I need to specify the same application name (EDIMessaging) as in the BizTalk Administration Console where the existing orchestration exists?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Our environment is...

• BizTalk Server 2009
    • MS-Visual Studio 2008
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Renin,

It is not good practice to have same name as application.

But you have same as orchestration.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Hi Rajesh,

The APPLICATION and the ORCHESTRATION do have different names.

• Application Name... "EDIMessaging"
    • Orchestration Name... "OutboundACE810Invoice"

My question is... in the DEPLOYMENT section of the PROJECT PROPERTIES (MS-Visual Studio), do I need to specify the same application name (EDIMessaging) as in the BizTalk Administration Console where the existing orchestration exists?

Thanks,

Brad

Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Usually you deploy to the DEV BizTalk server using the project properties deploy section \ Application name. Then you can export an MSI from your DEV server for the artifacts in the BizTalk application and then re-import onto QA and/or production. This is just how it works at certain companies.

It sounds like you are taking over for someone else, is this right? Feel free to ask more questions about how this works if anything is unclear.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:38 PM
  • I have understood your trying to explan.

one think what ever you specify in project properties For application name [EDIMessaging] you have deployed then in Biztalk adminstration console you get same name.

you specify same name then you get  orchestrartion name as[EDIMessaging.EDIMessaging]

as if Orchestration Name... "OutboundACE810Invoice" this then in Biztalk adminstration console for orchestration you will get [EDIMessaging.OutboundACE810Invoice]

This the difference are you clear or if any thing worng let know your Question clearly.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Friday, April 1, 2011 6:04 AM
  • Usually you deploy to the DEV BizTalk server using the project properties deploy section \ Application name. Then you can export an MSI from your DEV server for the artifacts in the BizTalk application and then re-import onto QA and/or production. This is just how it works at certain companies.

It sounds like you are taking over for someone else, is this right? Feel free to ask more questions about how this works if anything is unclear.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I am taking over from the previous EDI Coordinator/BizTalk administrator who's no longer here.

"All that I need to do" is update a default value in an X12 810 Schema. Default the CAD01 element to "ZZ"

After making the change to the schema, would it be possible to rebuild and deploy the solution to our production environment if I specify the application name (EDIMessaging) used in our production environment and deploy it to our production server? 

Can it be that simple?

Thanks,

Brad

Friday, April 1, 2011 1:05 PM
  • This  different thing that doesn't related answere
    Friday, April 1, 2011 1:33 PM
  • This  different thing that doesn't related answere

Hi Rajesh,

I believe that Ben understands my issue.  Thank you for your input.

Cheers,

Brad

Friday, April 1, 2011 2:23 PM
  • If you have Visual Studio and your production server on the same box this works. Visual Studio will not deploy to a remote server, unfortunately. Usually they are not on the same box so you end up redeploying any BizTalk applications that rely on that schema.

If it is on the same box then you just need to stop the BizTalk application and the host in the administration console and then deploy from Visual Studio. Otherwise you deploy to the local BizTalk server and export an MSI you import on production.

Let me know if you want to take this offline/get help outside the forums.  joeymaloney2 [ at ] gmail

Thanks,

Friday, April 1, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Yes, Visual Studio and BizTalk Server 2009 are on the same box.  Also each schema is separate, meaning one schema per solution (uniquely named for the trading partner in question).  I very much appreciate sharing your email address.

I'll let you know as soon as I deploy the changes to the schema.

Thank you for your assistance!

Cheers,

Brad

Monday, April 4, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Hi Brad,

Your question is not very clear to me but looks like more of a deployment and artefacts sharing and management issue. You can deploy all your artefacts under a single BizTalk application while you can use the common artefacts such as schema, maps across the applications by making a reference of the same.

Best Regards, Vishnu
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 4:03 AM