Error Message When Installing Starter Kit RRS feed

• Question

• User-676169736 posted

Hello Everyone,

A total newbie here.  I just downloaded the personal starter kit and saved it to my desktop.  When I run/open the program it displays an error message stating that a problem occurred while running the installer.  Then it says it could not load the file or assembly.  I have tried several times, but with the same result.

I have already downloaded the Visual Web Developer (Orcas).  Is there anything else I need to run this program?  Or am I not downloading it correctly?

Thanks for your help.

Gregg

Sunday, July 15, 2007 7:46 PM

All replies

• User1774147102 posted

Visual Web Developer Express comes with the PSK template already installed...HOWEVER, I would suggest heading over to www.jeremywadsworth.com and checking out his PSK.  It's a wonderful design and feature packed website that allows much more flexibilty for the newbie (myself included).  Have fun and enjoy the stuff, and if you get it from Wadsworth all you have to do is unzip it to a folder and and open website, super simple.

~Kai

Monday, July 16, 2007 11:14 PM
  • User-268077366 posted

Gregg,

The starter kits that you see on the main downloads page of the asp.net site were written for .NET2.x and the various editions of Visual Studio 2005 including the 2005 Web Developer Express edition.  So I think your problem is related to your attempting to use a beta version of Orcas instead which is based on the .NET3.X framework.

Hope this helps.

Monday, July 16, 2007 11:15 PM
  • User364019092 posted

Kai

I would like to know what version of .netframework are you using?   Did you have to adjust the web.config file before it would run across the internet.  The problem I am having is it will run locally with the virtual server.  But I cannot get it to run on the production server and it will not run across the internet.  HELP!!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 1:01 AM
  • User1774147102 posted

the PSK is built on 2.0 .NET framework.  Yes the web.config will have to be adjusted to point to the location of your hosting servers since you won't be running it local.  I don't have my connection strings in front of my right now because I have multiple harddrives at work and I'm playing with Vista...if you need some more help feel free to leave me a comment on my guestbook for my website and I'll get in touch with you via e-mail...

www.kaiandkar.com

~Kai 

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 5:37 PM
  • User364019092 posted

~Kai,

When you get the opportunity PLEASE email the connection string to me at (wjones@willie-f-jones.net).  Thanks for your assistance.

//-Willie

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:34 PM