none
Dataset Designer.vb too big? The file not being generated by "Run Custom Tool" RRS feed

• Question

• In VS2005, my XSD file has gotten so big that the Designer.vb file is not getting generated. 
    The last time the Designer.vb was able to get generated, it was at ~22MB in size. 

When I try the "Run Custom Tool", I get System.OutOfMemoryException error and a "Not enough storage is available to precess this command." error.  Is there a fix for this for VS2005?  Or are there any other work around for this?

Thanks,
    Yong

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 2:31 AM

Answers

• Visual Studio calls XSD.exe to generate dataset from .xsd file.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x6c1kb0s(VS.80).aspx
    It sounds like you probably hit the limited size that current version of XSD.exe can handle.

So what is included in the XSD file. Is it possible to simplify it or divide it into serveral xsd file and then generate serveral DataSet?

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:15 AM
  • I split out the XSD into separate ones and that made the difference.  Thanks.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:17 AM

All replies

• Visual Studio calls XSD.exe to generate dataset from .xsd file.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x6c1kb0s(VS.80).aspx
    It sounds like you probably hit the limited size that current version of XSD.exe can handle.

So what is included in the XSD file. Is it possible to simplify it or divide it into serveral xsd file and then generate serveral DataSet?

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Hello Yong,

What is the status of the issue in your side? Have you got any fixes or workarounds for this?

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:33 AM
  • I split out the XSD into separate ones and that made the difference.  Thanks.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:17 AM
  • OK. I am closing the thread. If you need more support on this, just update and we can follow up.

Regards,
    Ji Zhou
    • Proposed as answer by disalvo Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by disalvo Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:08 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

I have a similar problem.

I have a table (using SQL Server 2005 Express, with VS 2010 Pro) with more than 700 fields (if I reduce the fields under 700 every thing work fine) and even the dataset creation goes sometime in crash the files are created succesfully. The Designer.vb is 5Mb big. the compile works fine.

Running the application seem that everything works OK except the UPDATE command. So if I have more than 700 table fields, any Update to the DB doesn't works and I have an error message about the RPC limits about 2100 parameters

So please if someone could help me I really appreciate

Best Regards

Gabriele

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:15 PM