Create Windows store application based on another applciation

Question

• Hi, 

I have an application which I want to duplicate with minor changes (application name and one variable inside app.xaml.cs). 

What is the fastest way to do it?
    Assuming i would like to do so for 25 applications, it doesn't seem right to do it manually. 

Any way to do it using command line or small C sharp automation? 

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hi ynahmany,

Take a look at Create an app package at the command prompt, you could write a C# application to change the application name and the variable inside app.xaml.cs, and then run the command prompts

string strCmdText;
    strCmdText= "MSBuild MyProject.csproj /p:OutDir=xxx";
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("CMD.exe",strCmdText);
    --James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:45 AM
  • Hi ynahmany,

The App package name can be modified by the Package.appxmanifest.xml, you could change the name whatever you want. Take a look at: How to create a package manifest manually

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hi ynahmany,

Take a look at Create an app package at the command prompt, you could write a C# application to change the application name and the variable inside app.xaml.cs, and then run the command prompts

string strCmdText;
    strCmdText= "MSBuild MyProject.csproj /p:OutDir=xxx";
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("CMD.exe",strCmdText);
    --James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:45 AM
  • Hi, 

The Msbuild command does help yet it generate the same Package Name of the real application. 

Meaning, when I have 25 applications, they will all have the same package name- when the installation will take place the new one will delete the old one, so eventually only application number 25 will be installed. (I am preforming sideloading). 

Is there any way to generate the package name? 

Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:13 AM
  • Hi ynahmany,

The App package name can be modified by the Package.appxmanifest.xml, you could change the name whatever you want. Take a look at: How to create a package manifest manually

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:51 AM