Workflow Strategy -- External Task Change RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using MOSS 2007. I have a doc library (BuyerFeedback) that accepts Excel Workbooks. The first workflow checks to make sure the creator has submitted a valid xlsx file, and then either sets up a task or sends the creator an error email then deletes the item.

The task item triggers an outside program using Sharepoint Web Services running periodically. The outside program (in C#) sees the new task item, and processes the workbook (as input to an Access application). It records any errors in a multi-line text field ("Errors") in the task item, and changes the status to either "Processed" or "Processed With Errors". Since the status is changed, it never touches that item again.

I planned a second workflow triggered by the creation of the task item to watch for a status of "Processed" or "Processed With Errors", then send an email to the creator with the status of the workbook. I also want to make sure nothing is wrong, so I want to know when the task item has been sitting too long, and send a warning to the sysadmin telling him the C# process must not be running....

This second workflow is befuddling me (I am new at this....) It can "wait" for a due date, or it can "wait" for a change of status. I can't figure out how to make it wait for (one or the other....) I don't think I can have two workflows "waiting" agains the same list item at the same time, either.

So what's the strategy? I'm guessing it's simple. It's always that way....

Thanks in advance!

Jim
    • Edited by JimS-Indy Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:59 PM spelling
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:58 PM