none
Network installation of .wim file booting from USB flash drive fails RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to install a generalized .wim file over the network.   I am able to do this if I

• boot off a DVD drive with the base Win7 Embedded 32-bit runtime disk
    • enter WinPE
    • map network location with net use ...
    • install using setup /installfrom:xxx /unattend:xxx command. 

But, if I boot off of a USB flash drive, it fails.  The installation media was created by using the Tools->Create Media->Create IBW Image with Full Distribution Share... option.  My steps are

• boot from USB drive
    • enter WinPE
    • map network location
    • install using setup /installfrom:xxx /unattend:xxx command.
    • Files are loaded, but then fails after several minutes

The log files don't offer an immediate answer.  setuperr.log shows

Error  [0x060766] IBS ApplyCbsPackagesAndSettingsFromUnattendFile: DISM returned error exit code 3
    Error  [0x06076d] IBS ApplyCbsPackagesAndSettingsFromUnattendFile: See DISM log file [C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\cbs_unattend.log] for more details.

And cbs_unattend.log shows

=====================
    Info    DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1204 Provider has previously been initialized.  Returning the existing instance. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
    Info    DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1204 Attempting install from source location [%distributionshareroot%\Packages\FeaturePack\x86~winemb-usb~~~~6.1.7600.16385~1.0\WinEmb-usb.cab]. Full path [E:\ds\Packages\FeaturePack\x86~winemb-usb~~~~6.1.7600.16385~1.0\WinEmb-usb.cab]. - CPackageManagerUnattendHandler::Internal_InstallPackageFromSource
    Error   DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1204 Incorrect parameter E:\ds\Packages\FeaturePack\x86~winemb-usb~~~~6.1.7600.16385~1.0\WinEmb-usb.cab - path not found - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_CreatePackageByPath(hr:0x80070003)
    Error   DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1204 Failed to get the underlying CBS package. - CDISMPackageManager::OpenPackageByPath(hr:0x80070003)
    Error   DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1204 Failed to open package at location [E:\ds\Packages\FeaturePack\x86~winemb-usb~~~~6.1.7600.16385~1.0\WinEmb-usb.cab]. - CPackageManagerUnattendHandler::Internal_InstallPackageFromSource(hr:0x80070003)
    Error   DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1204 Failed to install package from source [0] - trying next source location. hr = [0x80070003] - CPackageManagerUnattendHandler::Internal_UnattendInstallPackage
    ============================

I see it cannot find a path of the USB feature pack, but I'm confused what would cause this. 

Thanks for any info.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:34 PM

Answers

• Is E:\ your network drive or your USB drive? If E is your USB drive and there's no DS there, you can try using the /ds:xxx flag to point to a specific DS on your network drive.
    • Marked as answer by doobop Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:25 PM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:56 PM

All replies

• Is E:\ your network drive or your USB drive? If E is your USB drive and there's no DS there, you can try using the /ds:xxx flag to point to a specific DS on your network drive.
    • Marked as answer by doobop Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:25 PM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:56 PM
  • The E: drive was the USB drive.  I thought all the necessary files were already on the drive through the Create Media menu option. 

But, I copied the DS to the network location, added the /ds:xxx flag to the setup command, and it works great.

Thanks once again.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:24 PM