none
retrieve resource custom field RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

Is it possible to retreive value from resource custom field?  Do you use psi?  I read some article.  You can not retrieve it.   Is this correct? 

I found the lookup table value in sql server.  But I can not tell where it is storing at. 

I am using project server 2007.   

Thanks for your assistance.

kkmick

Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:00 PM

Answers

• Kkmick,

You can easily retrieve the custom field for a resource in the ProjectServer_Reporting database. All custom fields are available in the SQL view MSP_EpmResource_UserView (this view is basically the MSP_EpmResource table + all custom fields).

Let me know if this solves your problem,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    • Marked as answer by kkmick Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:17 PM
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi kkmick,

Can you please tell us what you are trying to achieve?

• Do you want to retrieve all possible values of a resource custom field programatically (so the values in the lookup table)? Or do you want to retrieve the value assigned to a resource?
    • Where do you need to retrieve the value? In Microsoft Project? On a report? In a custom application?
    • What do you need the value for?

If you can give us a little more information, we can help you achieving your goal.

Hans

Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Hi Hans:

I want to retrieve a value from an assigned resources.  We create a custom field called Cost Type.  Each resource is assign to a value through the lookup table that we have created.  Our lookup tables have values such as eng for engineer.   Somehow I need to retrieve the eng value.  I know the values are located at the lookup table.  But I just don't know where the values are being store for that particular resources. 

I am trying to create project, task, assignment and resources text file.  I need to generate a text file from project server 2007 either using psi or sql server views.  Once this file is created, it will be used by another system (legacy system)  to update information.  (project, task, assigment and resource information)

Thanks,

kkmick

Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Kkmick,

You can easily retrieve the custom field for a resource in the ProjectServer_Reporting database. All custom fields are available in the SQL view MSP_EpmResource_UserView (this view is basically the MSP_EpmResource table + all custom fields).

Let me know if this solves your problem,
    Hans

• Marked as answer by kkmick Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:17 PM
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:21 PM
  • Hans:

Thank you so much.  This does solve my problem.  I just overlooked them.  :(

I do have one more question for you,  if you change the resource custom field value (Cost type) for an assign resources.  It is possible for us to have an individual as an engineer on an assignment resource for one project.   And for another project this assign resources will be a designer.  These two projects are not related to each other.  They can run concurrently.  Since I have to change the resource on the enterprise level. You can only have one value at a time for one assign resource.  This might not work that our pm intend to.  Am I correct? 

Thanks,

kkmick

Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:17 PM