visual studio 2010 unable to find the requested .Net framework data provider" for sql RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using VS 2010 SP1 Premium edition on Win 7 Ultimate workstation.

I am trying to create a database project and I am not able to reverse engineer schema.

In the connections manager I am able to test connection to a  SQL Server OK. However neither it popoulates database list nor it  is able to connect to database.

It fails with message "Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed."

I have tried replacing machine.config from the one the machine where it is working and that did not work out my machine.

The issue is not limited to my machine since it is happening on yet another user / machine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sanjay

Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Sanjay,

Thanks for your post.

Have you installed the right data provider?

For instance ODBC data provider

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=6ccd8427-1017-4f33-a062-d165078e32b1&displaylang=en

Hope my reply help resolve your issue.

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 2, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Hello Victor

Thank you for the message.

I tried the install and that did not work out.

Regards

Sanjay

Friday, May 6, 2011 3:25 PM
  • I have the same problem

Do you know how to solve it?

Regards

Noga

Saturday, May 7, 2011 8:52 PM
  • I have the same problem as well. I can connect to the database just fine from SQL Server Management Studio and from the transact-sql editor off of the Data menu in VS but if I try to create a connection using the Server Explorer or schema compare, it fails with that error message. Hopefully someone has a solution.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Very strange as this is exactly what has happened to me. No idea what has caused this situation and no idea how to solve it!
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Hi, I've the same problem with Oracle Data Provider (ODP.Net). I don't know what to search ... help me!!!!

Many thanks

Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:02 AM
  • I had the same error message with VB2010.  It happend after I uninstalled SQL Sever totally and installed it again.  What I am doing right now it's uninstalling VB2010 and reinstalling all over again.  It should be fine.

I tried to connect with VB2008 and everything it's working fine in this version.

So, I recommend that you do the same.  Reinstall VB2010 after you install all your database products, like SQL or so.

Good luck!  Willsuero@hotmail.com

Sorry, about this.  This issue is still not solve on my side. 

But In Visual Studio 2008 is working fine.  I think that the problem is with Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition, but I have it installed in another pc and is working fine, but I installed it a while ago, so something must be wrong in W7 and Visual Studio 2010, I am still searching to find an answer to this issue, if somebody found it please help us.

Thank you.   August 21, 2011.

Will

Friday, July 29, 2011 2:03 AM
  • I too am having the same problem with WIN7x64 & VS2010 Professional.  The post about uninstalling SQL seems intersting because I unistalled SQLExpress and installed SQL Developer on my workstation after having already installed VS2010.  I don't know if it had the problem BEFORE I did that, but it sure does after.

I've got another WIN7x64 & VS2010 Ultimate setup that does not have this problem, but it's running SQL Express and I have not messed with SQL after having installed VS.

Doesn't look like there's a resolution, but I thought I would post this in case it helps someone figure it out.

I did try Drudge's suggestion and it does not fix the problem.

Barrett

Friday, October 7, 2011 6:10 PM
  • ** SOLUTION ** unable to find the requested .net framework data provider ** SOLUTION **

Man, for days I've been trying to track this down and found dozens of people having this problem, I just found the solution:

There are multiple machine.config files in your \Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework\vXXXX\Config directories.  Check both of the v2 and v4 machine.config files for the following (four files total you're looking at here).

There was an EXTRA, self terminated <DbProviderFactories> tag in two of my files.  I had all four open at once comparing them, and noticed in two of them, the V4 I believe, but check them all.  Essentially it was like this and very easy to miss:

<system.data>
    	<DbProviderFactories>
    		<add name="Odbc Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.Odbc" ... />
    		<add name="OleDb Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.OleDb" ... />
    		<add name="OracleClient Data Provider" invariant="System.Data ... />
    		<add name="SqlClient Data Provider" invariant="System.Data ... />
    		<add name="IBM DB2 for i .NET Provider" invariant="IBM.Data ... />
    		<add name="Microsoft SQL Server Compact Data Provider" ... /></DbProviderFactories>
    	<DbProviderFactories/>
    </system.data>

Notice the CLOSING tag at end of the <DProviderFactories> last item, in this case the "Microsoft SQL Server Compact Data Provider", and then there's another SELF CLOSING <DBProviderFactories> tag.  Clean this up by keeping the one after the last item and deleting the self closing one at the end.

I rebooted, walked away, came back and it worked . . . so be SURE to reboot, walk away and come back or might not work ;)

Good luck, I hope this solves it for everyone!

Barrett

• Proposed as answer by Rambear Friday, October 7, 2011 7:20 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 7:20 PM
  • After doing a little research, it seems this bug (excuse me, “undocumented feature”) has been a plague upon us all starting as early as MS VS 2005 . . . I stopped digging back, since six years is long enough for any OEM to have seen it recurring and resolved it. . .

Never mind the specific error in this case, consider for a moment the point of failure is not a dozen or so lines of code; it is in the manner an application starts up and does as part of its initialization; one of the simplest things would be to look around for an expected data set, and should it not be found, provide details not some vague statement

Basically, an error handler

I cannot believe the lack of an error handler that would catch all such basic problems.... the budget for developing MS VS 2010 is a truly staggering amount and yet they are making the same mistakes - - albeit blind-spots and too much positive thinking rather than out and out stupidity - - committed by every OEM who has sold a compiler and/or IDE and/or test bench and/or database engine. . .

This has been my nightmare ever since I started developing code . . . you gotta develop your own error handler when it makes so much more sense for the OEM to provide something that can be deployed for all instances, all enterprises, all developers, from day one

In the case of my personal needs:

1)        Check if there is a data server available

2)        For a given name check if there is a data set available (set = tables, views, indexes, et al)

3)        For a given name check a data set for any breaches of constraints, joins, queries, stored procedures, et al

4)        Check if there is a connection to the internet

5)        Send a round trip - - “ping” - - to a dedicated site in order to evaluate timing, data throughput, data integrity, et al; provide a class of functions allowing developers to utilize such round trips during an application’s usage to evaluate performance and bottlenecks and dependencies and etc

6)        When an error occurs grab all details available . . . of greatest concern are attributes which could be useful in identifying the point of failure . . .just telling me the line number verges upon useless

7)        Check if an individual has an active account on the enterprise’s network(s)

8)        Get a list of app’s, utilities and services running on a given workstation; this is not only for resolving errors, it becomes a golden source of information when it is deemed necessary to tweak performance to reduce delays

9)        Services provided by third parties could have their own ‘self centered’ error handler linked into the OEM error handler

10)   Developers could link in additional tests to reflect their particular concerns

11)   When trapping errors, it is useful to grab all available information; you never know which attribute will give you the insight necessary to guide your efforts at debugging

12)   Furthermore, capturing attributes makes for a consistent format into which all available details are saved; such a ‘snapshot’ can then be uploaded to the OEM, whose millions of tech support Q&A’s can be pattern matched for known anomalies

13)   Changes in any workstation’s environmental configuration has been a nightmare since MS DOS 2.0; you make changes, I make changes, the workstation’s primary user makes changes… and something that was changed broke; I would love it, if I could have my application re-run the configuration checker for comparison with yesterday’s settings

14)   Checking if there are enough resources would be useful, since there is nothing gained by loading/running an application when there is not enough RAM, disk, bandwidth, et al; sure, there is virtual RAM (AKA: page swapping onto disk) but that defeats the benefits for performance; if such resources are frequently lacking, a detailed report which could include the logging of who, when, where, what, why, et al, which can then be justification for spending and/or increasing budgeting;

15)   Monitoring during an application is also useful for identifying the damage done by failure;

16)   An effective error handler is a dire necessity during recovery efforts such as those experienced due to fire, flood or fouled up infrastructure . . .  it should be a requirement for every enterprise’s DRP/BCP as much as having enough toilet paper (no joke, after Katrina, one of those overlooked items was TP)

Comments . . . ?

howard_nyc@yahoo.com 

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Great Barrett,

it worked for us! You save us a lot of time!!!!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Thank Barrett,

It worked for me too.

Monday, December 5, 2011 8:52 AM
  • For some reason it doesn't show any extra closing tag.. I am stuck. I am using VS 2010 and trying to connect to database from Asp.net MVC 3.0. I am just learning my first tutorial and I dono where to make the changes. Any help is appreciated

Friday, December 16, 2011 8:35 PM
  • @Balaji: download sql ce4.0 from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17876 ... and give a shot.

MCSD

Sunday, April 8, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Awesome Barrett,

Your hint got me into the right path and saved me a lot of time!

/Mattias

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Hello,

If the solution given above by Barret did not work for you, try this:

Go to the <DBProviderFactories> of your web.config file. check all the entries/invariants (<add ........ />) added. one of them was not installed or version mismatch. if you are not sure which one, try to remove/comment-out and test one after another until you found the one causing the exception.

When the trouble invarient/entry has been found, you can fix it buy adding the correct entry/version (correct assembly or namespace) or installing the appropriate data provider.

BEST Solution: Remove the entry/invariant if you are not using the data provider in your project.

Cause: The common cause of this problem is when you try to open/run a project created on a different machine. the new machine might have incorrect versions of data provider (or never installed). you must always try to check the version and also check if they are installed.

Please, Edit on Project Level NOT in you MACHINE.CONFIG (be very careful)

Hope this helps.

DE-Fada

Sunday, June 10, 2012 2:07 PM
  • Hello,

If the solution given above by Barret did not work for you, try this:

Go to the <DBProviderFactories> of your web.config file. check all the entries/invariants (<add ........ />) added. one of them was not installed or version mismatch. if you are not sure which one, try to remove/comment-out and test one after another until you found the one causing the exception.

When the trouble invarient/entry has been found, you can fix it buy adding the correct entry/version (correct assembly or namespace) or installing the appropriate data provider.

BEST Solution: Remove the entry/invariant if you are not using the data provider in your project.

Cause: The common cause of this problem is when you try to open/run a project created on a different machine. the new machine might have incorrect versions of data provider (or never installed). you must always try to check the version and also check if they are installed.

Please, Edit on Project Level NOT in you MACHINE.CONFIG (be very careful)

Hope this helps.

DE-Fada

Sunday, June 10, 2012 2:08 PM
  • hey guys......there is small mistake we done in our connection string....just look my connection string n follow your connection string.......i m using window authentication,if any body using server authentication then use username n password....

here is my connection string...............

<add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=HEMANSH-F030485\SQLEXPRESS1;Initial Catalog=SampleDb;Persist Security Info=True;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

wrong connection string i was following is show below:----------------------

<add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=HEMANSH-F030485\SQLEXPRESS1;Initial Catalog=SampleDb;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.Sqlclient"/>

Look i was not mentioning Persist Security Info=true n also might be due to integrated security i was not mentioning

Saturday, July 14, 2012 2:15 PM