none
Outlook 2010 and the Add-Ins tab RRS feed

• Question

• hi

I have a COM add in which works fine on both 2007 and 2010, however I would like it to look nicer on the latter and am struggling to see how I can achieve this.

I am creating a command bar which for 2007 adds a dropdown list, text field and button to the main menu. On 2010, it pops them into what looks like a ribbon group on the Add-Ins tab.

The problem is, since I haven't created it as a ribbon group, I don't see how I can exercise any control over it? one simple problem is the width parameters I set for the text field, drop down just get ignored and squashed into the 'Menu Commands' group.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

• Moved by Mike Feng Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:36 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 3:57 PM

Answers

• Add-ins tab is a tab where Outlook stuffs all 'legacy' controls created via commandbar api for previous Outlook versions. If you want to add there something via ribbon XML, idmso is TabAddIns. You will have to check in GetCustomUI and function where you create your command bars if Outlook version is >= 14.0 and act accordingly.

• Marked as answer by DaveB-UK Friday, March 1, 2013 3:49 PM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 12:37 PM

All replies

• Dave,

I assume that you use Windows Forms. Microsoft stopped with it themselves. They cannot make it as fancy as is currently asked with that. Start investigating your time in XAML.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ms754130.aspx

Success
    Cor

Monday, February 25, 2013 4:02 PM
  • What version of .NET is that applicable from? Part of my issue here is I need to build from a base of 3.5 and Outlook/Office 2007.
    Monday, February 25, 2013 5:32 PM
  • Just wanted to bump this again as my question might be simpler than it initially appeared

basically it would solve my problem if I could add a RibbonBox to the Add-Ins group that is utilised by default if Office 2010 runs my app

that would mean I could align my objects correctly. the only problem is I've been unable to track down a method by which I can reference this group directly

can anyone help?

Friday, March 1, 2013 12:31 PM
  • Add-ins tab is a tab where Outlook stuffs all 'legacy' controls created via commandbar api for previous Outlook versions. If you want to add there something via ribbon XML, idmso is TabAddIns. You will have to check in GetCustomUI and function where you create your command bars if Outlook version is >= 14.0 and act accordingly.

• Marked as answer by DaveB-UK Friday, March 1, 2013 3:49 PM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 12:37 PM