I want to make a Data Flow Diagram but...... RRS feed

• Question

• I want to make a Data Flow Diagram but the problem is that the Database consist of arround 50 tables and I don't have any system document, source codes etc.

Is this possible to make DFD? if Yes please help me how.

farazB 

Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:54 PM

Answers

• Hi faraz, from the DB schema I dare to say that is not possible to rebuild the "flow" of DFD. The schema represents a passive repository where data is stored but you need more info in order to know which processes finally perform the CRUD operations (Creation or tuples, Retrieval, Update, Deletion)

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:44 PM

All replies

• Depends on how much fine grain detail you have to represent in the DFD, you may or may not require source code and persistance data structure.

for high level, you can run the application, document several scenarios, confirm you understanding with BA or users.  This information can help you build a DFD similar to this in the link...  If you need to explode to more detail, then yes you need the source code.  Is it a .NET based system?  In that case a reflector can help you on understanding the underlying source, and you need read only access to database to understand the structure...

Monday, May 12, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Hi faraz, from the DB schema I dare to say that is not possible to rebuild the "flow" of DFD. The schema represents a passive repository where data is stored but you need more info in order to know which processes finally perform the CRUD operations (Creation or tuples, Retrieval, Update, Deletion)

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:44 PM