Fixing Boot loader manually

Question

• Hello,

Recently I installed Windows developer preview on a vhd. I already had Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04 installed on the same HD (Dual boot of course).

Since I installed The windows preview I couldn't boot into the ubuntu, so I ran the LiveCD and fixed the GRUB.

Currently I'm only able to boot to Ubuntu, booting to Windows 7 entry in GRUB boots to Windows developer preview repair and it goes on eternally (and cannot boot to windows 7).

How can I fix this? (I don't mind giving up the Windows Developer Preview, even though it has been a nice experience I would wait for the full version)

My system stats so far are (if it matters):

500GB HD, ATI Radeon, Intel I5 750, Gigabyte Motherboard (don't remember the model exactly, been around since the i5 was out)

I appreciate any help,

Thanks!

• Edited by Cu7l4ss Monday, September 26, 2011 11:12 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:11 PM

Answers

• If you cannot get into repair, try press shift+F8 at boot time to enter safe mode command prompt.

But I did not have any success in using bcdedit or bootrec due to the file in use by another process error, so I switched to Hiren boot disk.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:08 PM

All replies

• You probably want to find a linux forum to learn how to add GRUB entries manually. I used the Hiren boot disk to manually change boot entries.

You can also run bcdedit and bootrec from Windows developer preview repair, but I got an error "the file is used by another process" in the repair's command prompt.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:56 PM
  • Well, I cannot get into repair, it's just automatically goes "attempting repair" and stuff.. I don't get a choice.

Any method of getting a command line before that? (boot menu of some sort)

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:01 AM
  • If you cannot get into repair, try press shift+F8 at boot time to enter safe mode command prompt.

But I did not have any success in using bcdedit or bootrec due to the file in use by another process error, so I switched to Hiren boot disk.

Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:08 PM