Filter arbitration RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a Parental Control App, in which we create a  filter at FWPM_LAYER_OUTBOUND_IPPACKET_Vx layer, everything seems working fine. but once we enable "Windows Family Safety" ( we did register our app as third-party Web filtering inside Family Safety), seems Family Safety still take control the traffic and OS will take their actions. I did notice that Windows Family Safety creates a filter at FWPM_LAYER_STREAM_Vx.

Is this the correct behavior? or how we can let our filter take over the control?

Thanks,

-Peter

Monday, March 4, 2013 11:16 PM

Answers

• Outgoing packets @ STREAM are seen first (prior to any of the packetized layers).  You will be able to interact with any packets that make it up to OUTBOUND_IPPACKET.  If you wish to coexist with what Windows Family Safety is doing, then you could sit at a Sublayer Higher than where they put their filters @ STREAM.  Note that they will still get to make decisions on the data, it's just that you will have seen the data and made any decisions first.

Hope this helps,

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:33 PM
  • I suggest you contact Phil [ PhilSohn @AT@ Microsoft .DOT. Com ]. He is a Program Manager for Family Safety, and is interested in understanding your scenario. 

When contacting Phil, please specify your scenario in as much detail as possible, and what your expectations are versus the behavior you are seeing.  Additionally include a link to this thread, and include me as well[ DHarper @AT@ Microsoft .DOT. Com ]

Thanks,

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:16 PM

All replies

• Outgoing packets @ STREAM are seen first (prior to any of the packetized layers).  You will be able to interact with any packets that make it up to OUTBOUND_IPPACKET.  If you wish to coexist with what Windows Family Safety is doing, then you could sit at a Sublayer Higher than where they put their filters @ STREAM.  Note that they will still get to make decisions on the data, it's just that you will have seen the data and made any decisions first.

Hope this helps,

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:33 PM
  • Thanks, Dusty!

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:06 PM
  • Dusty, one more question, do you know why Family Safety filter still picks up the traffic if we already register our filter as third-party filter? is there any way we can stop the Family Safety filter?

Thanks in advance.

-Peter
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:01 PM
  • I do not know right off hand, so I've forwarded the question to the correct internal folks that own Family Safety, and they should get back to you soon.

Thanks,

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:39 PM
  • The Family Safety owners replied with the following:

If the user selects their filter instead of Family Safety in the control panel, Family Safety should no longer run the filter.

Hope this helps,

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Thanks, Dusty!

On the Control Panel, the Web Filtering shows our filter, not sure why Family Safety filter is still running.

-Peter

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:52 PM
  • I suggest you contact Phil [ PhilSohn @AT@ Microsoft .DOT. Com ]. He is a Program Manager for Family Safety, and is interested in understanding your scenario. 

When contacting Phil, please specify your scenario in as much detail as possible, and what your expectations are versus the behavior you are seeing.  Additionally include a link to this thread, and include me as well[ DHarper @AT@ Microsoft .DOT. Com ]

Thanks,

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:16 PM
  • Thanks, Dusty! That's very helpful. I will contact Phil and give him the details, see if he can give me some clues.

Thanks again,

-Peter

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:27 PM