none
[RESOLVED] Visual Studio crashes when I attempt to run/debug ANY program.

Question

• Hello,

I'm a fairly new VS developer (only been using it for about a month) and I've just run into this issue while working on an issue with an application that was giving me a bit of trouble.

Suddenly, whenever I hit the run button to build and run my application in debug mode, Visual Studio will almost immediately crash with this error.

An unhandled Microsoft .NET Framework exception occurred in devenv.exe [12040]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: No installed debugger has Just-In-Time debugging enabled. In Visual Studio, Just-In-Time debugging can be enabled from Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time.

Check the documentation index for 'Just-in-time debugging, errors' for more information.

I have checked, and I get this error simply when running a newly created blank application also. (Creating a blank console app does result in the console window opening, but then this error occurs immediately afterwards).

Furthermore, prior to this happening I was getting a lot of errors with the application I was developing/debugging, and I was forced to force quit out of it several times from task manager. Could this have resulted in this problem occurring?

As you can imagine, this is a fairly devastating issue as it prevents me from working on any projects in Visual Studio.

I would much appreciate some help!

Monday, March 13, 2017 2:43 PM

All replies

• Never mind! Fixed it by running /Resetsettings on devenv.exe.
    Monday, March 13, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Hi BlackholeMS,

Glad to know that you have resolved this issue, you could mark the answer, so it could help other community members who meet the same issue, and I could close this case for you.

Have a nice day,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:46 AM