Can we change the earlier parameter values depend on the next parameters values? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Currently I am working with SSRS-2008 R2 Reporting services. I have to design a report which will have the two report parameter like as Deportment & Employ Name.

I have to do the following things:

Task-1:

When we select the Deportment (First Parameter) from the drop-down, its respective Employees Names should be populate in the Employ Name(second parameter)drop-down.

For me, this is working as expected. As we can modify the parameter values depending on it’s earlier parameter values.

Task-2:

If I first select the Employee Name (second parameter) from the drop-down then its respective Department (First Parameter) should be selected from the drop-down.

I have tried out this on a sample report, but I am getting the following error:

The Report Parameter “EmpName” has a Default Value or a Valid Value that depends on the report Parameter “Deportment”. Forward dependencies are not valid.

Kindly do let me know is this feature (Task-2:) available in SSRS 2008 R2? i.e. changing the earlier parameter values depend on the next parameters values.

Could you please help me to get out of this? It would be grate full if you do so.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, November 9, 2012 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Based on your description, it seems that there are cascading parameters in your report (the drop-down values of parameter "EmpName" is based on the selected values of parameter “Department”). And then you want to change the order of cascading parameters.  If so, it is not support in Reporting Services.

Order is important for cascading parameters because the dataset query for a parameter later in the list includes a reference to each parameter that is earlier in the list. So, the independent parameter should be in front of the dependent parameter and forward dependencies are not valid.

For more information, please see:
    Add Cascading Parameters to a Report

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Friday, November 16, 2012 1:06 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:01 AM