Wacoum Pen and Pad RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have a recommendation for the type and size of Graphics pen and pad works best with EW Design?

Or a good site to do comparisons?

Thanks 
    Mike

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Albert Einstein
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:43 AM

Answers

• Sorry I am late to the game.  Look into student discounts.  That helps with the price.  I own the Largest size Intuos 3 and I purhased that as a refurb for half the going price.  1 yr warranty is a great thing.  However, you can potentially do the work on a smaller pad.  I am using a 42" lcd for my work so it made sense to go for the largest tablet.  As a traditional turned graphic artist the larger size works.  Buy the Medium at the student discount rate.  Then increase the size as the Wacom does not depreciate very much sell the old upgrade to a larger size or newer model.  Also if you buy from Wacom there is a satisfaction guarantee grace period.  So you could order it test her out and return it if unsatisfied.

Nothing beats the Intuos 4 model.  The pens pressure sensitivity rocks.  And for image resolution the Wacom 3+ is better than the pack.  However, it is possible to purchase another brand for half or less that compares to the Intuos3.

Hope that helps.
    • Marked as answer by ebermed Friday, December 25, 2009 10:44 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:38 PM

All replies

• There is no correct size for Expression per se, just what is right for you as a size.

Personally I use the A5 one as it's cheap, portable and I can sling it in a bag and take it with me. I did used to work on an A4 one which was fine, although I think I find the smaller size more manageable to use in terms of drawing something across the screen. I've used an A3 one in the past which just felt too big for what I wanted yet I also know artists who find the size of an A3 pad liberating.

Best of all would be if you can use a range to see which works best for you (which may not be easy to do but the play is the thing with a Wacom). I'm about to get a new one myself, the touch and pen, but am completely undecided between small or medium. Think I may go small but want to try both before I make a decision.

So, sorry, not much help. Wacom's keep their resale value so personally I'd go small and trade up if you decide you want to unless you get lucky with a shop that'll let you play about with a range.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Thanks for you reply.  I like everything about the Itrous4 by Wacoum.  Except the price.  but what are you going to do you get what you pay for in most cases and I think this is one of them .  I may opt for the medium tablet

Thanks Again,

Mike

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Albert Einstein
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Wacom used to have a forum to discuss things like this but I have not visited it lately.  Maybe someone there can help?

I used to prefer Wacom and Mac together, PC and highest resolution, lowest cost pen, tablet & mouse combo together but I don't know if that helps at all.

It does seem to be one of those tricky areas where all the good questions and considerations one might have before purchase are only solved by purchasing a device then using it.  

Monday, October 26, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Thanks BBB,

I know what you mean do you buy a couple of cheap ones you do not really like or just lay out $350 and hope you get your moneys worth?  I am going to do some more research but the Intous4 is looking like my choice if I was buying one tomorrow.

regards,

Mike

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:11 AM
  • I have a fancy Wacom Intuos at work (6x8) but my daughter's Bamboo works great with Expression and is more portable.  I am only demoing Expression Design right now, but I have found the way the brushes interact with the tablet to be better than illustrator and photoshop. 
    • Proposed as answer by Karen Pellegrin Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:47 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Unfortunately I think this is one of those areas governed hugely by personal preference.

I'd guess that some people might prefer to lug a large tablet while others might prefer a smaller or medium sized one.

As for me, I hope Apple bring out a tablet that is a tablet device in its own right whether as a standalone or wired up to another computer OR a tablet computer as a standalone or wired up to another computer.

That along with media flexibility might be an interesting toy to toy with?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 11:25 PM
  • Just fyi. I use the Wacom Bamboo.... the medium sized one... and I love it. Iv'e done quite a few children's book illustrations with it and it seems to be the perfect size. You just need to know how to move it and the window on your screen properly while you're drawing. Takes a bit of practice but it works great and Bamboos are fairly cheap.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:46 AM
  • Sorry I am late to the game.  Look into student discounts.  That helps with the price.  I own the Largest size Intuos 3 and I purhased that as a refurb for half the going price.  1 yr warranty is a great thing.  However, you can potentially do the work on a smaller pad.  I am using a 42" lcd for my work so it made sense to go for the largest tablet.  As a traditional turned graphic artist the larger size works.  Buy the Medium at the student discount rate.  Then increase the size as the Wacom does not depreciate very much sell the old upgrade to a larger size or newer model.  Also if you buy from Wacom there is a satisfaction guarantee grace period.  So you could order it test her out and return it if unsatisfied.

Nothing beats the Intuos 4 model.  The pens pressure sensitivity rocks.  And for image resolution the Wacom 3+ is better than the pack.  However, it is possible to purchase another brand for half or less that compares to the Intuos3.

Hope that helps.
    • Marked as answer by ebermed Friday, December 25, 2009 10:44 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:38 PM
  • All these replies were helpful and very much appreciated.  I had to mark one as an answer but they all were great.  I got the Itros4 and it is so awesome that i cnat figure out how to use it with Design 3.  But I will find a tutorial somewhere I got the medium and I like the feel of the pen .  Any one wit hexperience the these pen pad and EWD3 please let me know 

Seasons Greetings from Rainy Florida

Mike

Saturday, December 26, 2009 2:05 AM