none
plz suggest window based or web based better (c#.net sql server appln(database)) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In our company we are using MS access database with visual basic editor.I would like to convert it to c#.net and sql server   My query is whether i should go for window based or web based application(asp.net)  I am a bit concerned about the security as it is a public sector organisation.Plz help me with some of your suggestions

thanks

Nithin

Saturday, January 12, 2008 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This question cannot be answered in a Yes or No. There are number of factors that determine the type of solution. Since you haven's listed many, here is my take on the same :

1. If it is an intranet application (going to be used only by your organization), go in for a Windows app. You will get a rich GUI model and performance advantages

2. If the application is to be used by people outside your organization, go in for a Web application. However remember that you will have to deal with browser compatibility, security and requirements such as performance, availability and so on.

Just keep in mind the audience you are targetting and the possibility of the software users growing in future. A lot of companies have been adopting a service based model too, which gives them flexibility.

Here's a good discussion on the topic

HTH,
    Suprotim Agarwal

-----
    http://www.dotnetcurry.com
    -----

Saturday, January 12, 2008 10:21 AM