Issue with KB2871280 and offline app development

Question

• Hello, I am working on an enterprise set of Windows PCs, with a Windows Server 2012 system running ADDS server with domain control.

I have updated all the PCs running Win8Pro to the latest update, including hotfix 2871280, and the appropriate Group Policy has been pushed to client PCs (which are behind an extremely strict firewall and currently not connected to the internet).

The hotfix was supposed to allow the PCs to obtain a developer license without an internet connection, but the users are still unable to do so.

Is there an additional step for this hotfix to work? I thought the server would obtain the license on behalf of the client, but then some support forum posts suggest that the licenses are non-transferable. Please advise, thanks.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• The instructions are at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852635.aspx . Note that the system has to be set up for sideloading before you can allow development without a dev license.

This won't allow obtaining a developer license, but will allow the user to develop code without having obtained one.

--Rob

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:59 PM
  • Hello.

You say that executing the procedure, mentioned in the article

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852635.aspx

will allow to "develop code without developer license". May I ask you to clarify what does this mean? Am I going to be able to create, run and debug corresponding project types in Visual Studio?

By the way, the article text says the following: "You can configure your PCs to have a developer license that does not expire. Once the PCs are configured, you won’t need to connect to the Internet to obtain or renew a license."

Is this text not correct?

Best regards,
    Eugene.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:49 AM
  • Eugene, please don't post the same question in multiple places.

Jamles is already helping you in your other thread.

--Rob

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:18 PM
  • Hello.

I am sorry but I have to catch any chance. The situation with the Windows store apps developer license in offline scenario is so unclear that I came to using even faint possibility to gather bits of information.

Try to look at the situation from my point of view please. I have a scenario that seems to be covered by Microsoft but having spent two days searching for a solution I am still where I was. No real answer what so ever.

The question I asked in a new thread was not answered as well. The "answer" provided by Anne Jing is quite nominal. I clearly stated that the instructions at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852635.aspx do not provide a working solution and the answer says "try instructions from this very article". Frustration pushes me to call for help on every possible occasion.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:48 AM
  • Hi Zverev,

If you do not feel that your other thread was answered correctly please politely clarify your question and scenario in that thread. It often isn't as clear to a reader what exactly you have done when you post just a short question.

--Rob

Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:37 AM