What's happening with JScript.NET RRS feed

• Question

• User-1793822101 posted

Years ago I had an interest in this language (which I think is a cool achievement).

There was writing on the wall that it was not a first class citizen, it never got editing support in VS.

I haven't given it much thought for years.

There is a compiler for it in .NET 2.  (jsc.exe)

I see that it's slated be in .NET 4 (though the DLR language managed JScript isn't).

I used the language in .NET 1 for it's eval and I see that others are doing the same.  (I also see that there are at least a few commercial uses, like Sony in Sound Forge and Vegas.)

Does anybody here have a good handle on the spectrum of people who are using it, the attitude of management in MS and any IDE support for the language?

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:47 PM

All replies

• User1198569280 posted

I'd like to chime in on this question as well.

What is cooking for JScript.NET, if anything?

Friday, April 9, 2010 1:54 PM
  • User-1793822101 posted

I see that it is in .NET 4 as expected (jsc.exe). 

I imagine that MS has enough on it's plate with C#, VB.NET and now F# that it's not going to spend up on JScript.NET and the dynamic languages.

Some people are using JScript.NET as core parts of their .NET work.  I understand that, I used it for it's "eval" capabilities even before .NET 1.0 was officially launched.  My guess is that MS can't ditch it, it would annoy some important people a lot and derail them / stop them adopting the next .NET version.

This doesn't seem to be the place to discuss it.  I wish I knew where was.  There's huge potential here.  Create a decent development environment, maybe no need for UI designers, and there would be significant use.

Not sure how well jQuery would compile or link into the browser, but that sort of thing could accelerate slow browser side code, if it was doable.

There was some work in the F# community to generate JavaScript from F# code.  Like code in F# and deploy on the browser.  That could tie in nicely, if it pans out.

Friday, April 9, 2010 6:49 PM
  • User1198569280 posted

Haha, yeah, I'm one of those people that use it :) Not just for eval but because it's a very cool language to work in.

It being in .NET 4 doesn't really matter much if it's basically the same compiler. What I would like to know is whether there is anything being done to the language, for example adding delegates/events and a mechanism for ref/out parameters, so we can ditch having to code base classes in C# and inherit from them to get that stuff to work. Getting generics would also be nice, but not a huge issue IMO.

That's really what I see as crippling deficiencies, in the sense that it stops JScript.NET from tapping into the full framework, and it's getting more and more apparant as framework versions go up. The language is effectively stuck somewhere between .NET 1.1 and 2.0.

The client side idea would be nifty, but would also mean yet another platform lock-in to consider, as it would require .NET(specific version) on the client, and I personally think there is plenty of non-standard issues floating around already, not just from Microsoft but generally speaking.

Anyway, wasn't trying to hijack your thread, just give it a little bump and maybe someone in-the-know will notice it.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 3:30 AM
  • User-318331607 posted

It's discontinued, already since before .NET 2.0. There was never support added for generics, delegates, nullables and of course there is no LINQ.

Last year I still got some reported compiler bugs fixed (not all but some) and for the others I got a comment like "sorry we do not invest any more time in that product, use workaround abc..."

I discurrage everybody to use it if you don't have to.

Friday, November 11, 2011 9:07 AM