none
Configuring Windows Server 2008 to allow Remote SQL Server 2000 connections RRS feed

• Question

• I have a MSDE 2000 instance installed on a 2008 Server. I am using I am using SQL Server Management Studio Express to do the configuration. At the server, I can login to the instance using the sa account, but the same type of login attempt to the running instance on the 2008 server by on another computer on the same network fails.

Since the sa login credentials work at the 2008 server but not at another computer on the network, I would assume that Sever 2008 is not cofigured to allow external access.

Also at the server and logged in, if I click on the instance and view the connection properties, "Allow remote connections to this server" is checked.

As a side note of interest, when I explore the network for SQL Servers, only the server name shows up and not the Server Name\Instance Name that I would see if I attempted the same thing where both ends is an XP machine.

For example, the full instance name might be "2008ServerName\VsDotNet" but only "2008ServerName" is returned when the network is explored for SQL Servers.

// Code to enumerate Sql Servers on the network

SqlDataSourceEnumerator instance = SqlDataSourceEnumerator.Instance;

System.Data.DataTable tblSqlInstances = instance.GetDataSources();

foreach (System.Data.DataRow dr in tblSqlInstances.Rows)

{

sqlServerInstance = string.Format(@"{0}\{1}", dr[0].ToString(), dr[1].ToString());

// ususlly shows up "2008ServerName\VsDotNet" and not just "2008ServerName"

}

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Carl Taylor

Suwanee, GA

Thursday, May 8, 2008 9:20 PM

Answers