none
Excel 2010 - Addin Not showing up even though its in the Active list RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I have developed an Excel Addin for Office 2007 using VS 2008 and VSTO 3.0. It works fine on Office 2007 machines.

    But we recently had few users with Office 2010 and Windows 7 with Framework 4.0. The same install worked fine on most of those machines too.

    But one of the users was getting an error message on the load of the Addin. "The common language runtime could not be loaded". I did some lookup and was able to solve that error. I installed all the pre-requisites like VS 2010 Tools for Office Runtime and also Office 2010 PIA's. After the pre-requisites install's, i am not seeing the error message anymore.

    But now, the Addin is not showing up when the user launches Excel 2010. When i checked File-> Options -> Addins , i see that the addin is listed under the Active Addins list. I tried repairing the Addin and few other options, but its still not showing up in Excel.

    Can someone please let me know what can be done to make it appear.

    Thanks,

    Shail
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:07 PM

Answers

  • I have finally figured it out. For some reason i found that, there is Visual Studio Tools for Office 2010 in installed on these machines which was causing the issue. Once i uninstalled it, i was able to see the Addin back on them menu.
    • Marked as answer by Shailendra_G Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:35 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:35 PM

All replies

  • Can someone please reply to this thread ..
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:25 PM
  • This is a weird one. I assume you did the VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS = 0 trick to get the Common Language Runtime error? If not check this link (near the bottom):
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms269003(v=vs.80).aspx

    Are there any other addins installed? I recently ran into a situation where another addin was interfering with proper functioning of an addin I work on / maintain. I would recommend disabling any other addins that are installed to see if that addresses the issue. If it does re-enable them one at a time to find the culprit.

    Hope this helps.

    Casey

    Thursday, June 2, 2011 7:25 PM
  • I did do the VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS = 0and also VSTO_LOGALERTS = 1. I dont see any messages popping up.

    I did see couple of other Addins installed. So i will try the other steps you have suggested and see if it solves the problem.

     

    Thanks,

    Shail

    Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Hi Casey,

    I did try disabling all other Addins, but that did not help and my Addin still does not appear in the Excel.

    Can you please suggest anything?

     

    Thanks,

    Shail

    Monday, June 6, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Hi Shail,

    >>I have developed an Excel Addin for Office 2007 using VS 2008 and VSTO 3.0. It works fine on Office 2007 machines.
    I think if the Addin is built with VS2008 and VSTO 3.0, then the version 3.0 runtime is required. Take a try to download and install it:

     http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=54eb3a5a-0e52-40f9-a2d1-eecd7a092dcb&DisplayLang=en

     on the machine.

    Hope the suggestion can help you.

    Best Regards,


    Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.


    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

    I did install VSTO 3.0 initially, but since that did not help i installed VS 2010 Tools for Office Runtime. But i had no success with either of them.

     

    Thanks,

    Shail

    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Hi Shail,

    It is strange. I think since it is under the Active AddIns list, the AddIn should work well. You can test via poping up a message to see whether it actually loaded.

    What's the loadbehavior of your addIn? Please take a look at this article to see whether you can get some hints:

    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsto/thread/5c5e84ac-fed2-4c47-967d-43555c5fcb30

    If these still does not help you, would you mind share your demo project on the skydrive and share it with us?

    http://www.skydrive.com

    Then I can try to reproduce your problem and do the research about it.

    Hope this helps.

    Best Regards,


    Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:32 AM
  • I

     

    I think the Addin as such works. I have installed on lot of machines and it worked successfully. The issue i guess is with the environment of this user. This user has Windows 7 with Office 2010. And he had a couple of more Addins. I tried disabling the other Addins but the problem still persists. The load behavior looks fine as it shows up a value of "3". I have no clue as to what could be wrong.

     

    Regards,

    Shail

    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:31 PM
  • I have finally figured it out. For some reason i found that, there is Visual Studio Tools for Office 2010 in installed on these machines which was causing the issue. Once i uninstalled it, i was able to see the Addin back on them menu.
    • Marked as answer by Shailendra_G Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:35 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:35 PM