locked
Visual Studio 2010 Unit Test Problem RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am running into the following issues when unit testing in Visual Studio 2010.

    First, I get the following Tests ouput message when I build the solution:

    Error loading c:\documents and settings\<myid>\my documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Test\TestProject1\bin\Debug\TestProject1.dll: Method not found: 'Boolean Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Common.AppSettingsHelper.AppSettingDefined(System.String)'.

    Second, unit tests don't seem to execute when I run them.  When I run the test, it looks like the process is trying to run but the status circle to the left of the test is grey... it doesn't come back as successful, failed, or ignored.

    Thrid, I get the error message below when I try to open the local.testsettings file.  Moreover,  no tests are defined in my Test.vsmdi file.

    I am using Visual Studio 2010, SP1 with ReSharper.  I have tried reapplying SP1, but that didn't help.  I can reproduce the error by creating a simple console or dll project, adding  one method to the existing class, and creating a unit test project on that method.

    Thanks in advance for your assistance!

    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:59 PM

All replies

  • Hi btd,

    If this issue happens in a simple unit test? If answer is positive then I would suggest that you could reset your Visual Studio or running it with safe mode.

    If these operates could not let your unit test run correctly then please try to repair your Visual Studio.

    Hope this could help.


    Tony Xiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

    Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:18 AM
  • Tony,

    Thanks for the response! 

    Sorry for the delayed response.  I am trying to balance real work and troubleshooting this issue.

    • Yes, I get these errors with a simple unit test.
    • I tried resetting visual studio 2010, starting with the /safemode switch, and repairing VS 2010.  The simple test still failed after each of these.

    Note, I don't have this issue in VS 2008.  Perhaps I need to remove all VS 2010 files from my computer and reinstall...

    Best Regards,

    Todd

    Monday, April 2, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Hi btd,

    From your description, This scenario might be caused by deleting some important file of VS, I guess you could try to find the same dll file(which missed in this case) in another machine and then copy to your own system, if this still couldn’t work then I would suggest that you should reinstall your Visual Studio.


    Tony Xiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

    • Marked as answer by Tony xiao Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by btd Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:41 PM
    Friday, April 6, 2012 10:16 AM
  • Thanks again for the reply.  It will take some time before I am able to test this out.  Until then, I can't confirm that an uninstall/install fixes this problem.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:44 PM
  • Hi btd,

    Ok that's fine, please update the latest status of this issue and then you could get better help.


    Tony Xiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

    Friday, April 13, 2012 10:31 AM