locked
Manager Lookup not Working RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a SharePoint 2010 box, upon which I have created a test site.  In the test site, I have added a list.  The list has a workflow that runs on item creation.  Said list is designed to record vacation requests, and to hold manager approval.  The list has among others, two fields of type people picker, Requestor and Approver.  In the workflow, the Requestor field is set when empty to the item creator.  This works.  A later step in the workflow has a "Lookup Manager of a User" action that reads, "Find Manager of Current Item:Created By (output to Variable:manager)".  After that I have two more actions in the step; the first reads, "the Set Approver to Variable:manager", and "then Email Furman, Corey".

    When I view the item, the Approver is empty, and when I receive the email, the variable is not filled.  I suspect that what is going on is that the lookup on my manger in AD isn't happening.  What should I check to get this working?

     

    Thanks


    Thanks,
    Corey Furman @ Facebook
    ______________________________________________________
    Please mark posts as answer or helpful when they are.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:59 PM

Answers

  • Hey Corey,

    I'm pretty sure that the manager field is taken from the User Profile. Can you check that you have the manager field populated in AD and that the profile import sync connection is also working correctly and filling out the profile.

    Another thing that you can do is go to the User Profile Service Application page, edit a user profile and manually assign a manager and try your workflow then. It should give you some more clues.

    Cheers


    Blog: www.sharepointanalysthq.com Twitter: @michalpisarek
    • Marked as answer by Corey Furman Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:28 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:30 PM

All replies

  • Hey Corey,

    I'm pretty sure that the manager field is taken from the User Profile. Can you check that you have the manager field populated in AD and that the profile import sync connection is also working correctly and filling out the profile.

    Another thing that you can do is go to the User Profile Service Application page, edit a user profile and manually assign a manager and try your workflow then. It should give you some more clues.

    Cheers


    Blog: www.sharepointanalysthq.com Twitter: @michalpisarek
    • Marked as answer by Corey Furman Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:28 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:30 PM
  • The manager is filled in AD.  I think the problem is, as you suggest, with the sync.  I did not have a connector set up - I didn't even know I needed one, but as I stumbled around looking for clues I found that.  So, I added one and kicked off a sync.  Let me see what happens now.

     

    Thanks


    Thanks,
    Corey Furman @ Facebook
    ______________________________________________________
    Please mark posts as answer or helpful when they are.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:34 PM
  • That was it - Thanks.
    Thanks,
    Corey Furman @ Facebook
    ______________________________________________________
    Please mark posts as answer or helpful when they are.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:28 PM