Issue for single user - InfoPath client form opens in IE8 instead of local client RRS feed

• Question

• I read through the existing posts but didn't see a clear solution.

I have a forms library that has the setting to open the form in client (not browser).  For everyone else (hundreds of users) the form opens in the client.  For this one user, when she clicks on the New button in the forms library it tries to load the form using a Forms Services URL, which fails and displays "Form Closed".  Again, the settings on the library are correct and all other users are fine.

She just received a new laptop and has the InfoPath client loaded as part of her Office 2007 install.  We are using MOSS 2007.

I am seeing this as a local issue with her machine, so I don't want to change anything with the library which could hose everyone else. 

Any ideas?  Like maybe browser settings, file associations, mucked up template stored somewhere on her machine, etc?

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:05 PM

All replies

• In case this helps anyone, I believe I located the problem.  No idea what the root cause is, but the following resolved it for this Windows 7 user:

1. Clear the temporary Internet files manually at C:\Users\<useraccount>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\
    2. In the path C:\Users\<useraccount>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, if the user has a folder named InfoPath, delete the contents or the entire folder.

I checked browser settings, file associations, and checked to see if there was a local copy of an *.xsn file and all checked out fine.  For whatever reason, the two steps above restored the user's ability to open a local InfoPath client form and prevented the forms from being forced into a Forms Services URL.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:23 PM