HTC TyTN II Kaiser - C++ RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a networking project. Im using the following device:
    Platform: HTC TyTN II Kaiser
    Operating System: Windows Mobile 6.1

I have a C++ programme that runs on linux in my computer. The task is to make it run on this device.

I currently do no have the device so i first need to simulate it on my laptop(which runs Win XP Pro)
    How can I do this?

Is this programme a simlator of Windows Mobile:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=06111a3a-a651-4745-88ef-3d48091a390b&displaylang=en

Saturday, March 14, 2009 11:59 PM

Answers

• The link you posted is for the Windows Mobile Software Development kits.  If you want the appropriate emulator then you want to get a "Windows Mobile 6.1 Emulator."  You can download one from here, choose your language: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c46aa8-1dd7-426f-a913-4f370a65a582&displaylang=en 
    Make sure you get a Professional emulator and not a Standard emulator.

Without looking at the program you are porting I speculate you are going to have to do more than just compile it for a Windows Mobile device.  You probably will have to do a good bit of redesign and translation from one set of operating system functionality and calls to another.  If you are new to Windows Mobile programming then this won't be a trival task.  You may want to first concentrate on familiarizing youself with the Windows Mobile programming APIs and environment before you redesign the program that you are porting.

Joel Ivory Johnson
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Friday, March 20, 2009 2:36 AM
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:41 AM
  • No, nothing comes with it, just the emulator's image.

To develop for WM 6 you must have the following:

- VS 2008 Pro or VS 2005 SE (and above versions). This is not optional.

- WM 6.0 SDK (for VS 2005) or WM 6.0 SDK Refresh (for VS 2008). This is not optional.

- WMDC (or Active Sync for older OS). This is optional and needed to connect to the actual device.

Note without Visual Studio you will not be able to do anything.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Friday, March 20, 2009 2:35 AM
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 5:42 PM

All replies

• The link you posted is for the Windows Mobile Software Development kits.  If you want the appropriate emulator then you want to get a "Windows Mobile 6.1 Emulator."  You can download one from here, choose your language: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c46aa8-1dd7-426f-a913-4f370a65a582&displaylang=en 
    Make sure you get a Professional emulator and not a Standard emulator.

Without looking at the program you are porting I speculate you are going to have to do more than just compile it for a Windows Mobile device.  You probably will have to do a good bit of redesign and translation from one set of operating system functionality and calls to another.  If you are new to Windows Mobile programming then this won't be a trival task.  You may want to first concentrate on familiarizing youself with the Windows Mobile programming APIs and environment before you redesign the program that you are porting.

Joel Ivory Johnson
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Friday, March 20, 2009 2:36 AM
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Thank you for your reply!

From the link you provided, I downloaded:  0404/Windows Mobile 6 Professional Images (CHT).msi
    I hope this is fine.

Also, will I need to install Visual Studio in my laptop before I install the above mentioned emulator?
    If so, will this version of VS work for me:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=83c3a1ec-ed72-4a79-8961-25635db0192b&displaylang=en

So after installing these two programmes in my laptop I can compile and run code just like in a mobile device is it?

Thanks  :)
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:52 AM
  • The emulator you chose should work fine for your purpose. 

You will need either Visual Studio 2008 Professional or higher or Visual Studio 2005 Standard or higher. The link your provided refers to a sufficient version.

Once you have both of those installed you will be able to run and test your code on the emulator.

There's a video in the "24 hours of Windows Mobile" series that you may want to look at. The presentation is C# centric but may of the things they discussed are also aplicable to your environment.  You can view the video here.

Introduction to Windows Mobile Programming : http://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/WebCastEventDetails.aspx?EventID=1032386646&EventCategory=5&culture=en-US&CountryCode=US

Joel Ivory Johnson
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:04 AM
  • Thanks again for your reply. I did watch the webcast and is was very good  :)

What's ActivSync? I will only need this software if I'm connecting the real Kaiser device to my laptop, right?

Also, once I install the following emulator:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c46aa8-1dd7-426f-a913-4f370a65a582&displaylang=en

the required SDKs come with it, is it?

Thanks again :)
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:55 PM
  •  
    The emulator doenload does not contain the SDKs.  You will still want to download them.

You will need Active Sync for XP or the Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) for Vista to connect your physical device to the computer, so I would go ahead and download it now.

Joel Ivory Johnson
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 5:32 PM
  • No, nothing comes with it, just the emulator's image.

To develop for WM 6 you must have the following:

- VS 2008 Pro or VS 2005 SE (and above versions). This is not optional.

- WM 6.0 SDK (for VS 2005) or WM 6.0 SDK Refresh (for VS 2008). This is not optional.

- WMDC (or Active Sync for older OS). This is optional and needed to connect to the actual device.

Note without Visual Studio you will not be able to do anything.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Friday, March 20, 2009 2:35 AM
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 5:42 PM