none
Term Store Creation - SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• What is the correct way to create a term store for taxonomy planning for a medium size company? 

Is it import from excel file or creation through website? 

Again this is for a medium size company?

jnkb

Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:04 PM

Answers

• The Excel file is more for loading the initial term sets.  After the initial term sets are loaded then day to day maintenance would be done through the Web UI.  Changes won't be made that frequently.  If they are then I would consider setting the term set to be Open instead of Closed so that changes can be made by users on the fly.  If you gather all the terms to be loaded initially into Excel files then you can analyze the entries before loading them to remove duplicates.  Remember you can have multiple term sets for different purposes.

Individual Site collections can also have their own specific term sets, which is how I would let individual departments create their own unique term sets if necessary.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:54 PM

All replies

• There really is no difference in the resulting term store with either method.  But if its a medium sized company I would expect that there would be multiple term sets and that some of them would be fairly large.  If so its much easier to do it by importing an Excel file.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Saturday, June 15, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Thanks Paul.

I guess for planning of a large size organization term store will be common for the organization not for individual departments. If we use excel file in that case how to ensure that there is no duplication happens. How the organizations are really maintaining terms in single excel file?

At what schedule organizations are updating terms in the application?

jnkb

Sunday, June 16, 2013 3:30 AM
  • The Excel file is more for loading the initial term sets.  After the initial term sets are loaded then day to day maintenance would be done through the Web UI.  Changes won't be made that frequently.  If they are then I would consider setting the term set to be Open instead of Closed so that changes can be made by users on the fly.  If you gather all the terms to be loaded initially into Excel files then you can analyze the entries before loading them to remove duplicates.  Remember you can have multiple term sets for different purposes.

Individual Site collections can also have their own specific term sets, which is how I would let individual departments create their own unique term sets if necessary.

Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:54 PM