Namespace RRS feed

• Question

• Where is there a list (that a complete novice can read) with all the namespaces and what types can go into them, i am trying to create an XMLfile so i think i should use the namespace system.IO.File but when i write XMLfile.code = "  " so that the same file can be referred to in different parts of my program i am told that code is not a valid member of system.IO.File.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

if you look at the Object Browser, you will see some Lines starting with {} these are the namespaces.
    Mark the thread as answered if the answer helps you. This helps others who have the same problem !
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:32 PM
  • @Miller_a:

The Object Browser and MSDN Library are a start.  But just reading a MASSIVE list of object names and their namespaces will probably not be too helpful.  I would suggest clicking the Learning tab at the top of this page and then using the Visual Basic Learning Center to get some of the basics down.

@All:

To give advice on where to find documentation on framework entities, please continue to post to this thread.

To assist specificially with creating the Xml File, please post to the thread:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vblanguage/thread/4b2fb94e-9ff1-41d3-9779-87372b92b795
    Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:02 PM
  • I am also one that tends to like to know all about what I am dealing with.

But the .NET framework literally contains thousands and thousands of classes. So as others have said, trying to wade through them all is going to be very frustrating.

And with XML ... it is even harder because there are about 8 different ways to process XML in your application. Which one to use really depends on the language you are using and the .NET framework version.

In VB using .NET 3.5, I recommend using XML literals and XElement features.
    www.insteptech.com ; msmvps.com/blogs/deborahk
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:29 PM
  • You could take a look at this for a general overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_Class_Library

Hope this helps.
    www.insteptech.com ; msmvps.com/blogs/deborahk
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    • Proposed as answer by DeborahKMVP Monday, July 20, 2009 8:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Miller_a Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:15 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Thanks. Now i have a reference. :-)

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:51 AM