Can Background task bring windows 8 from connected standby back to normal power status (S0)

Question

• We are trying to use background task to be triggered by system event such as wifi disconnection. Currently when such event happens, the background get chance to run in total about 2s in every 15min. But we want this background task can call any windows API to bring system back to normal status in response to such event since it is important for us and we'd like system fully up and running and do complext task accordingly.

Could you please tell how to achieve this? I've made some test and found background task can be triggered by a variety event such wifi change, push notification, but all the things happens in background and windows system can't be brought up to normal status.

Thanks!

Friday, June 8, 2012 2:53 PM

All replies

• You can send a toast or live tile update:

http://video.ch9.ms/build/2011/slides/HW-566T_Hari.pptx

Here is a state diagram that matches the title of your question:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/HW-456T

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Thanks Eric's answer!

I found even I send a toast or tile update in background task, the tablet still can't quit connected standby and enter operational S0 with login screen showing up.

All the things happend in background w/o screen on and only after pushing power button I can see things have happened. But what we need is something like our phone whose screen can be switched on by SMS message or push notifications which user can see immediately.

Do you think it a normal behavior that all the things happend in background task must run in behind with screen off which user can't be aware?

If background task can trigger whole system to operational S0, how to do that?

BTW, in CSTransitionTool running in WHCK, the Tablet can enter/quit connected standby w/o pushing power button, how does that tool do that automatically?

Thanks for support!

Hua

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Any update for the question?

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:06 PM