Data Model window won't open Excel 2016 and unable to edit existing Powerpivot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am running 64 bit Excel 2016.

I have recently received an Excel file created in 2010 that has an associated data model and power pivot. 

Upon opening the file:

• I receive no errors
    • The model cannot be accessed either by clicking the symbol for GoTo PowerPivot Window or via Alt + B + M.
    • Attempting to edit the source of the powerpivot defaults to > External Data Source > Connection Name: PowerPivot data. And nothing further can be done.
    • I can view the powerpivot fields but cannot select/re-arrange them.
    • Attempting to manipulate/refresh the power pivot yields the following:

“This workbook has a Power Pivot data model created using a previous version of the Power Pivot add-in. You'll need to upgrade this model with Power Pivot for Microsoft Excel 2016”

Needless to say i am unable to upgrade.

To test if this is a more general issue i created a new workbook, created a table and loaded to the data model;  worked fine. But then i cannot access the model as described above. 

Any ideas what might be causing this and how i can resolve the issue? I know in prior installations of Excel 2016 i have had, i have been able to create data models etc.

I have run through the top related threads suggested in the side bar to no avail.

Regards,

Quentin

QHarri

• Edited by QHarri Monday, December 4, 2017 1:30 PM
    Monday, December 4, 2017 12:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Quentin,

Thanks for your question.

According to your description, you need to upgrade Power Pivot data models to Excel 2013 or Excel 2016 first.

>>>Needless to say i am unable to upgrade.
    You can refer to below article to upgrade Power Pivot data models to Excel 2013 or Excel 2016:
    Upgrade Power Pivot Data Models to Excel 2013 or Excel 2016

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 2:30 AM