none
Fix Error - Unrecognized Database Format RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have Access 2010 and facing problem in opening one of my database placed on shared network. I tried to open with different user but not opening. It generates error message “Unrecognized Database Format”.

Is there any solution/tool that will help me in open my database?

Thanks in advance for help!

Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:47 AM

All replies

• Do you have a backup copy? If not, there are third-party software that you could try to use to repair it.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 1:12 PM
  • Another possibility is that someone opened it in Access 2013. In that case, after restoring from your backup, make sure that the project is split into FE (front end - forms, queries, reports, code, etc.) and BE (back end - tables only) and that every has their own copy of the FE on their local machine.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 1:18 PM
  • Here are some possible methods that will help you in fixing this error message:

• Compact & Repair - Open Access and switch to the database tools tab and select compact & repair. Now choose your corrupt database to repair it.
    • Import everything into new database – Create a new blank database and try to import everything: tables, queries etc. into newly created blank database. It will solve minor corruption
    Friday, July 31, 2015 2:57 AM
  • DB guy, backup is not available of the database. Is there any free software that can repair my database?
    Friday, July 31, 2015 3:05 AM
  • Alphonse, thanks for help but I am unable to open the database.
    Friday, July 31, 2015 3:09 AM
  • DB guy, backup is not available of the database. Is there any free software that can repair my database?

Hi,

I am not aware of any free software to repair Access databases. There are some who will let you try a demo version.

If you're willing, you can send me a copy of your file, and I can try to fix it for you. No promises though since not all repair software are created equal, but I'll try to do my best.

Just a thought...

Friday, July 31, 2015 3:31 AM
  • It generates error message “Unrecognized Database Format”.

If you receive this error message, this means the Access database you're trying to open is corrupted. You should try to repair Access database in these ways:

• Use the Compact and Repair utility to repair Access database. It's a built-in repair feature of Microsoft Access. 
    • Try to import the corrupt Access database into a new one by using the Import feature of Microsoft Access.
    • Microsoft provides a freeware utility, called JetComp utility, to repair Access database.

Refer to this article for complete information - Repair Access Database via Compact and Repair Database Tool

Before purchasing any paid software, I hope the shared information would be helpful here. 

Thanks.

Saturday, December 22, 2018 6:51 AM