none
Driver installs on Windows 7 but won't install on WES7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install a proprietory driver that my company wrote (multifunction adapter) on WES7. The WES7 image used for testing is pretty loaded with Explorer shell and I am able to install Intel GMA and Realtek HD audio drivers with no issues. On Windows7 I can install our multifunction driver using our setup.exe or manually through device manager and selecting the proper INF (x_multi.inf). However, I am not able to install the driver on WES7 (x86 or x64). When I ran the setup.exe I get a message that says that says:

"An error occurred during the installation of the device. The driver file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the inf was written for Windows 95 or later".

One thing that I noticed is that WES7 does not include mf.sys, wmilib.sys and mf.inf, while W7 does. I copied those files from my W7 install and manually copied them to the corresponding folders. When I analyze the static dependencies in ICE I don't see that I am missing any vital component. The driver in question is "x_multi.inf"

I am using DPinst.exe version 2.1. Also, looking at  setupapi.dev.log I get these piece of info:

[12/10/2010 8:21:47 AM] sig:      {_VERIFY_FILE_SIGNATURE} 13:13:39.484

sig:           Key      = x_multi.inf

sig:           FilePath = C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\x_multi.inf_amd64_neutral_3dc8de723403d32c\x_multi.inf

sig:           Catalog  = C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\x_multi.inf_amd64_neutral_3dc8de723403d32c\x_multi_amd64.cat

!    sig:           Verifying file against specific (valid) catalog failed! (0x800b0109)

[12/10/2010 8:22:03 AM] Error 0x800b0109: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.

[12/10/2010 8:24:02 AM]  here is another error

[12/10/2010 8:24:04 AM]   No class installer for ' CustomPCI Multifunction Adapter for custom boards'

dvi:           No CoInstallers found

dvi:           Default installer: Enter 13:13:44.062

dvi:           Default installer: Exit

Our drivers are not signed. Would that be the issue? how come W7 can install them with no problems?

Thanks!

Monday, December 13, 2010 10:28 PM

All replies

• The signing could be an issue, but what seems most important is the error message that says there is no class installer for your driver. You mentioned the mf.sys and mf.inf file. Could that be the class installer for your driver? If so I don't think you can just copy them over, because they need to be installed. We do have those two files in our 'Generic Multifuction Card Driver' package. If you add that package to your answer file, or to the runtime using dism and a config set, then mf.sys will there. The other file you mentioned, wmilib.sys, should already be in the base image. Hopefully that will get your driver working. If not, you may need to find out what class installer you need. If you have a file name, there is a search function in ICE you can use to search for particular files if you don't find them on your image.

Brent
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:27 AM