none
Could the installation package of .NET 3.5 be split? RRS feed

• Question

•  

The whole installation package is about 200M. if I want to redist it with my application, the customer will complain about the size increase if they download our application from internet.

For example, if we don't use WPF or WCF in .NET 3.5, how can we remove them from the installation package?

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:13 AM

Answers

• The best solution is to use the web bootstrapper. It will only download and install the components needed. For a typical Windows XP install this about 60 MB, for Vista SP1 customers this will only be about 10 MB.

This is really only for a web based install since the small boot strapper requires Internet access to get the bits.  For CD based installs, you can use the "full package" or you can include the raw files on a layout like the Visual Studio product does under the \WCU folder.

.NET Framework 3.5 web download bootstrapper - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6

-Bret

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:56 AM

All replies

• I do not think it would be possible to split the components, but i haven't come across this information documented anywhere.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:30 PM
  • The best solution is to use the web bootstrapper. It will only download and install the components needed. For a typical Windows XP install this about 60 MB, for Vista SP1 customers this will only be about 10 MB.

This is really only for a web based install since the small boot strapper requires Internet access to get the bits.  For CD based installs, you can use the "full package" or you can include the raw files on a layout like the Visual Studio product does under the \WCU folder.

.NET Framework 3.5 web download bootstrapper - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6

-Bret

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:56 AM