none
Print Driver with Custom User Interface RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best approach to developing a print driver with a user interface?

Goal: a user of any application that allows printing can perform File>Print and select my driver.  The document will then be converted to TIFF.  A UI will appear to allow the user to choose to batch or archive the document into my imaging system after login is validated using web services already in place.  The UI will allow the user to select an account type and document type (obtained from web service), and enter in an account number and a description.  When the user clicks Archive/Batch, the image and metadata is sent to the imaging system using web services.

I am a C++ programmer with 15 years experience.  This is my first driver.  I have developed a print driver that will create TIF images using the MS bitmap example.  Currently the driver will print to file.  How would I develop a UI at this point instead of print to file?  Would the UI exist in my print driver dll?? Any advice or example projects would be greatly appreciated.  Just a point in the right direction would be helpful. I have downloaded and reviewed the Windows Driver Kit 8.1 examples but unable to find documentation on creating UI's.  I have discovered how to modify the printer and document properties but the custom UI needs to popup after the user clicks print, not require the user to click printer properties.

Thanks

Monday, July 13, 2015 5:52 PM